Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Activities for new quilting group >

Activities for new quilting group

Activities for new quilting group

Old 04-25-2011, 11:06 PM

I am chairing a new quilting group and am looking for activities for our monthly meetings. I am open to any suggestions
Old 04-25-2011, 11:12 PM

learning paper piecing... So many show and it looks good up to a point then something seems to get lost in the transaction. :)
Old 04-25-2011, 11:13 PM

Fat quarter, quilt book or magazine raffle, BOM . The guild I used to belong to did these and they were fun. The BOM they provided a basic pattern and color scheme. Sometimes they sold a center or starter square for 25 cents. So all the blocks would have a common center. They also made up name tag kits and sold them. Work on a charity quilt to donate to a local shelter or for project linus. Have each person sign up to teach a mini class on the technique they enjoy doing. One person could teach paper piecing, one could do hand applique, or any other technique. You could start a round robin or row robin quilt. Work in small groups so it won't take forever to complete them. Even a mini one is fun to do. Just have fun. I have been trying to get a quilting/sewing group started at our church. Can't seem to find a day that works well for everyone. Guess I am going to have to pick a day and go with it & hope someone shows up.
Happy Stitchin' crafty_linda_b
Old 04-26-2011, 02:12 AM

If mine had a BOM I would go...I think that would be very interesting! here is an interesting post from another member on what they did. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-118859-1.htm
Old 04-26-2011, 02:15 AM

Have a quilter (either a mamber or guest)demonstrate basic techniques that all quilters need. Even long time quilters can often improve their current way of doing things. Topics might include rotary cutting, how to square up a block, matching seams, good pressing techniques, half square triangles and flying geese. If you can, offer a free pattern to practise the technique denomstrated or one that makes a fast simple quilt.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:33 AM

Do a group donation quilt. Have everyone bring in/contribute 3 (5" or 10" but everyones the same) pieces of fabric, show them all how to do a 10-minute block and put the quilt together for charity. Everyone can stitch together a row, another can do the border, another the binding.

At the same time, it is a learning experience so people can see how the block is done, how it's sewn into rows (with or without sashing), bordered and bound.

Make Pincushions, everyone loves pincushions. Or a threadcatcher which is something that everyone can use, especially if they're sewing outside their home and can't leave a mess. there's a ton of directions online.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:38 AM

Start a "shoebox" group. Each person fills their shoebox or tupperware box with the fabric they want in their blocks...maybe a yard of background and smaller pieces for the blocks. They bring the shoebox to the group and the boxes are switched. You take another persons box home and create (your choice of pattern) a block (we did 12 1/2 inches unfinished). Next meeting you have show and tell and then the boxes are handed over to someone different. It really was fun.

Lynn :roll:
Old 04-26-2011, 04:34 PM
Power Poster

The Pass and Slash thread was interesting today .... also Round Robins.

Fabric exchange ... each person takes # pieces of a specified size, and a certain colour or style (eg. kids, cars, spring, etc,) in a ziplock baggie. During the meeting the Coordinator sorts them around and then you take home the same #, but of other people's fabrics.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:40 PM

Thanks to everyone. Keep the suggestions coming.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:24 PM

If you have newbies,like me, in the group it would be nice to learn on a small project first. Like a runner or place mat. The groups in my area all start with a sampler quilt..which I do not like. Would also like to learn how to layer a quilt neatly. The idea of making a pin cushion would-be useful addition to a learner.
Cheerio Shirley