Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Adding Borders Question, Need Help

Kel

Adding Borders Question, Need Help

I am finishing a quilt for my DD as a wedding gift. I am putting 3 borders on. The inside border is 3 1/2", the middle border is 1 3/4", and the end border is 4". I have the first border (3 1/2") sewn in place.

My question is can I sew the two remaning borders together, then sew them on to the quilt together.
    I was afraid if I did the 1 3/4/" alone it might get wavy.

thanks in advance for any help.
    Kel

Yes you can but in order for the border to go all the way around the quilt like the 1st one you put on you will have to miter the corners. I've done it, no problem!

Blog Entries
    If you are worried about wavy, I would pin the 1 3/4" onto the quilt from the middle towards the ends. I would also sew from the middle to the ends. I do this alot when I am putting together rows of blocks too.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Yes, you can do it the way you suggest. Just fyi, very narrow borders, such as stop borders which may be as little as 1/4" wide, are not actually 3/4" strips of fabric with 1/4" seams. I usually cut my very narrow borders 2" wide and then attach the surrounding borders to leave 1/4" showing.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
    Yes, you can do it the way you suggest. Just fyi, very narrow borders, such as stop borders which may be as little as 1/4" wide, are not actually 3/4" strips of fabric with 1/4" seams. I usually cut my very narrow borders 2" wide and then attach the surrounding borders to leave 1/4" showing.
    What a smart idea; thanks for sharing it!!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

not quite as easy as it sounds. You could also put cornerstones in .
    "In the crazy quilt of life, I'm glad you are in my block of friends."

It would look nice with mitered corners if you attached the last two borders at the same time. If you don't miter you won't get the look I think you are srtiving for.

I have put 1" finished borders onto quilts. No wavy borders of any kind or size. Just measure for the borders through the middle across and length. Cut to this measurement , divide into thirds and do the top that way too. Pin and sew away. Works every time for me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.