Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
adjustable height table >

adjustable height table

adjustable height table

Old 04-30-2011, 03:26 PM

i'd like to make a table that's easy to adjust the height. i want to be able to raise it for cutting and other standing up things and lower it to sew, etc.
does anybody else have any ideas? i've looked on line but prices are scarey. (if i works well i might make another for work so i can chose standing or sitting)
thanks for any ideas.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:47 PM

that is a big order, there is so much height involved to go back from standing to sitting. i was going to suggest putting a table on bed lifters..but that won't give you enough height..
Old 04-30-2011, 03:51 PM

Bed risers. Cheapest adjustable table ever!
Old 04-30-2011, 03:55 PM

Just a thought here -- I've cut pieces of PVC pipe and added feet cups and when I need to do a lot of cutting I put them underneath the legs of my purchased collapsable table. If you already have a table, simply measure across the bottom of the leg and buy a section of PVC. You can cut the length to whatever you want. And it's a cheap way to reuse what you might already have. I have a 10" set that I take to retreat and a 6" set that I keep at home. Sure saves on my back. If you have an IKEA store near you (or check on line, they have legs that have those little buttons that you push in to raise and lower your table. You could attach them to almost anything. Hope I've been able to help a little.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:57 PM

Lifetime makes tables with adjustable heights. I have 2 that are 2 ft x 4 ft and 2 that are about 2 ft x 17+".

I do use the larger tables put together when I am squaring up quilts and doing larger work. I love that they are adjustable so it is easy to cut on them. I also love that they cam be lower so friends can come over for sew days. Oh yeah, I have used them for parties for extra tables.

They store really well too.

I bought a smaller table on sale at an office supply store: Office Max or Staples or Office Depot. the larger tables were either Costco or Sam's Club.

ali
Old 05-01-2011, 02:40 AM

I have three tables...One plastic 6ft long picnic folding table beside a vintage drop leaf table also 6ft when opened all the way for sewing...both are the standard table height. I bought an office chair at staples to adjust for height for sewing. Then I have a vintage drafting table for ironing and cutting. All fold up for easy storage when need to use as a gstrm and drafting table has a lever for flipping top down.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:17 AM

thanks for the tip on lifetime tables. that might work for my quilting table. i think it would be too hard to adjust for a table at work.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:36 AM

You can use plastic glasses of whatever height you need under the table legs if you want something inexpensive and easy use. I used 16 oz from the $ store for tables we used for tying quilts for Lutheran charity. Just turn glasses upside down and put table on them.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:42 AM

I bought an 8ft adjustable leg table from sam's. I can't remember exactly, but, it was between 42.99 and 45.99. I was shocked at the price. Walmart also has something like what I got from time to time. You will have to check, I went to Walmart about 2 weeks ago, but really did not notice that area of the store.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:43 AM
Banned

You can get adjustable tables at the lumber stores. Big Lots has them. However they just adjust three heights.

I got adjustable legs at IKEA and the top. These legs will adjust in any increments. These were the only multi adjustable legs I found. I Check on their web site for the legs. You can get all the hardward from IKEA