Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adjusting Free Motion Foot

Adjusting Free Motion Foot

I have just started to get back into free motion quilting - practicing at this point. I am having a problem with my quilt sandwich dragging - it's warm and natural between 2 prices of muslin. And, when I place a supreme slider underneath its even worse. I have adjusted my pressure dial the highest it will go so the only alternative that I can come up with is to adjust the spring on the foot but I have not been able to figure how to do it and I have googled without success. Any help would be most appreciated.

Blog Entries
    What kind of sewing machine do you have? I have a Viking and when I use my hopping foot with the spring, there's a machine setting I have to choose to make the foot work right. Check your manual, you may have to do this too.
    Also, make sure the foot is installed correctly. There's a thingy that should go over the screw on your needle shaft. Rotate the wheel manually and make sure the foot is going up and down with the needle.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Power Poster
    Are your feed dogs dropped? I think it is Leah Day that has a video on how to adjust your FMQ foot with an elastic on one of her machines. Her web site is www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/

Your pressure dial should be LOWERED not as high as it can go.

The free motion foot for Juki can be adjusted by a screw at the top of the foot,

I have a Brother PQ1500s machine. I do have the little bar over the screw. If I lower the pressure foot it makes it more difficult for the fabric to move.

Is the foot one for your specific machine or a generic one? If it isn't for Your machine it might not be right for your machine.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

It is a Juki that I have used before with no problems. It was recommended at the time I bought it because Brother did not make an open toe foot at the time. I have used it in the past with no problems at all and now that I have resumed free motion quilting it is giving me this problem.

On the FMQ for my Janome 1600p when you adjust pressure of the foot with the screw on the foot itself you turn the screw opposite of the righty-tighty, lefty- Lucy rule. Screw to the left to tighten & the right for more pressure.

I keep the pressure as low as it will go for piecing and using the walking foot. I raise it slightly for fmq.
    I love my life!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast