Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Adopt me. Please!!!!!

I have been quilting for awhile, but I am self taught. Most of my quilts have been simple squares. I machine quilt, because I don't know how to hand quilt. I have never followed a pattern. I wnt to make different quilts, but have no idea how to start. Help Please.

go to our tutorials section, you can pick out a project there
    start simple and don't get frustrated when it doesn't turn out the first (sometimes several) times!

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure you will find someone to help you. I'm not advanced enough to help yet.

Blog Entries
    I sent you a PM.

Blog Entries
    JoyceL what is it you are wanting to do? Maybe, a simple star?

I agree with Kathy go to the tutorial section, there are a lot of easy patterns there, I have even posted a tut on twisted sister, which is a very easy block, strip sewing and half triangles, very easy, beginner, block. Then if you have any trouble using the tut, just start another thread asking for help, and knowing these ladies, you will have all the help you could ever use. The ladies and gents here are fantastic. Good luck, and above all enjoy yourself.

jennifer2206....love your address location!

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    just ask questions here - you will get 17 responses in 5 minutes, from people who really want you to succeed

Check YouTube.com. There are videos for every step of the way from threading the needle to sewing on the binding.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce L
    I have been quilting for awhile, but I am self taught. Most of my quilts have been simple squares. I machine quilt, because I don't know how to hand quilt. I have never followed a pattern. I wnt to make different quilts, but have no idea how to start. Help Please.
    Prehaps we should ally together? I'm self taught as well... I've never really had the proper tool for a specific job, and Never really knew what I was doing.. I just plunge in.
    I dont usually do " patterns " or Sq's.. I've always designed and planned my stuff....

Unfortunantly it does take time to learn quilting and how things go together. If you have a local guild that is nice ladies, they would be a big help to you. There is also beginner classes at most quilt shops and sometimes through the community service classes. It is amazing how much some of those classes cover and get you going.

The other option is to read read read. The magazines and books have many many tips and techniques they teach you. Even patterns have instructions that teach you as you go.
    My suggestion would be is to try elenore burns log cabin quilt in a day. She has many beginner patterns besides that one if you don't like log cabins.

Just don't get discouraged... we all started out like you.