Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advantage to Paper Piecing String Qs? >

Advantage to Paper Piecing String Qs?

Advantage to Paper Piecing String Qs?

Old 09-05-2015, 09:20 PM

Default Advantage to Paper Piecing String Qs?

Most of the tutorials I see on making string quilts use the paper piecing method. I've tried it and it works.

I've also recently skipped the paper and just started sewing strips that are about an inch or two longer than the block width. I sew them to my center color strip (white, for example), and not necessarily all the ones on the left first before doing all the ones on the right.

Does that make sense? When I have enough strips to make the block, I turn the block "on point" , lay the square ruler (6.5 is my current size) over it, center the ruler over the white strip, and then trim off the excess.

The results seem to be the same. But I do wonder if I'm missing something in the rationale behind using foundation paper ? What is the advantage?
Old 09-05-2015, 09:39 PM

Your get better points and straighter lines.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:34 AM

If you cut the block "on point", the paper helps stabilize the bias sides of your block until you sew them together.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:36 AM

for a scrap quilt, it usually doesn't matter. I've done scrap quilts both ways--with and without a foundation. Both worked well, at least IMO.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:36 AM

Does this principle also apply when you use a square of fabric instead of paper?
Old 09-06-2015, 04:19 AM

I don't think a foundation (such as paper) is REQUIRED to make a string quilt. But a foundation has many benefits: it really helps stabilize the string block so the center strings match up, it serves as a guide for how long to cut each string strip, and it is the easy template for trimming the block once all the strings are sewn on. Without a foundation, I could never have gotten my yellow lattice strips to line up in the picture of my string quilt below. A foundation can be either paper which is removed, or a leave-in foundation which is what I used. The detriment to paper is that it can be time consuming and a little tedious to remove, and the detriment to a leave in foundation such as muslin or Pellon is that it adds thickness, weight and a little stiffness to the finished quilt.
But to answer your question, if you a making a classic simple strip quilt and don't care if any of the strips line up, you can certainly make one without a foundation.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]529902[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p1120043.jpg  
Old 09-06-2015, 04:40 AM

I used muslin for my foundation instead of paper. I seems to keep all those strips now slanted from stretching out of shape once I have it squared up to the size I want. I buy muslin by the bolt so always have some laying around. Doesn't have to be the best brand either for this purpose.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:14 AM

Jeanne, that quilt is beautiful!

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I don't think a foundation (such as paper) is REQUIRED to make a string quilt. But a foundation has many benefits: it really helps stabilize the string block so the center strings match up, it serves as a guide for how long to cut each string strip, and it is the easy template for trimming the block once all the strings are sewn on. Without a foundation, I could never have gotten my yellow lattice strips to line up in the picture of my string quilt below. A foundation can be either paper which is removed, or a leave-in foundation which is what I used. The detriment to paper is that it can be time consuming and a little tedious to remove, and the detriment to a leave in foundation such as muslin or Pellon is that it adds thickness, weight and a little stiffness to the finished quilt.
But to answer your question, if you a making a classic simple strip quilt and don't care if any of the strips line up, you can certainly make one without a foundation.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]529902[/ATTACH]
Old 09-06-2015, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
I used muslin for my foundation instead of paper. I seems to keep all those strips now slanted from stretching out of shape once I have it squared up to the size I want. I buy muslin by the bolt so always have some laying around. Doesn't have to be the best brand either for this purpose.
What Suz said. I usually use muslin as well...but lately I found an EXTREMELY ugly fabric in my stash. Wouldnt you know? it got chopped up for my string block foundation pile! See? EVERY fabric has its place!
Old 09-06-2015, 02:04 PM

What stitch length do you use so that it the stitches are secure, but allow easy removal of the foundation?