Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice about how to enlarge a quilt >

Advice about how to enlarge a quilt

Advice about how to enlarge a quilt

Old 06-26-2015, 09:43 AM

Thanks everyone for your suggestion! I submitted all of them to my client. I think for myself that I would choose the ruffle or a new quilt, but it is her choice :-)
Old 06-28-2015, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by faykilgore View Post
Bless all of you who have tackled this. I would tell her to find a solid color bedspread that matches the quilt and put the quilt on top of it. That way the bed is covered and the quilt doesn't need to be widened. You have several good suggestions if you decide to add to the quilt. Best wishes!
My sentiments exactly. I would explain to her that it is much easier to start from scratch making a new quilt than trying to enlarge an existing quilt. And, will she be happy with the outcome? I doubt it. Cost would be a consideration for me, too.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:52 AM

I like the idea of a non-quilted ruffle as well. The quilt is very feminine and I think an eyelet lace riffle or border would be beautiful and much easier than quilting.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:55 AM

Yes, new mattresses play havoc with quilts already in progress or already made. I would go for a coverlet and then put the quilt on it as suggested previously. I've had to do that with several quilts. It looks okay and saves trying to patch on to an existing quilt.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:57 AM

Just thinking here, and like many others, I would have said no. BUT just adding to the sides might not look right, from a quilters point of view, you might have to add something to the bottom, if you did not want to do all 4 sides.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
Just thinking here, and like many others, I would have said no. BUT just adding to the sides might not look right, from a quilters point of view, you might have to add something to the bottom, if you did not want to do all 4 sides.
If you add the same treatment at the bottom, it will give you enough quilt to make the bed with a pillow tuck.......then make an accent pillow to match with the deepest color?