Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice for Bow Tuck >

Advice for Bow Tuck

Advice for Bow Tuck

Old 09-21-2010, 07:08 PM

After seeing all the beautiful bags you all had made, I decided to give it a try. I have several questions and would appreciate your suggestions. Are there any particular fabrics which work better than others? Do you use the matte board on the bottom or is there something else you prefer? I have never used fusible fleece ... is it readily available at most stores?

Thanks for any ideas you may have!
Old 09-21-2010, 07:12 PM

Fusable fleece works well. I always but 987 pellon. Cotton quilting fabric is what I use. Just read the pattern over until you get all of the steps. There are samples and tutorials for you to check out. The first one will take longer but others will be easier.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:14 PM

I don't use matte board. It bends so I use plastic or the brown board as in clipboards. I buy them ready cut.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Power Poster

I use cotton batting and spray baste. Color...and fabric Use what you like and have on hand. For the matte board...I have used an old cutting mat and have bought some of those cheap floor tiles (you can cut with box knife)I think they were $.39 each. Anything you have around that will keep the bottom flat. Dig in and enjoy.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:39 PM

I made one with upholstry fabric on the outside and quilting cotton inside. I liked the extra stifness of the heavier fabric.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:45 AM

I used cotton on my Bow Tuck, but I am just finishing up a Phoebe Bag and I used corduroy, because I loved the pattern. Think you could use anything you want. I like working with the fusible fleece, read the directions. For my bottom I used a piece of plastic canvas with a piece of batting into a sleeve of coordinating fabric, gave bottom nice body, not too stiff. Have fun!