Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: advice on Flynn quilt frames

Red face advice on Flynn quilt frames

I am interested in buying a Flynn Quilt frame & was wanting any advice any of you might have. Do you own one, have you used it , & what is your opinion? Any comments would be appreciated!! Thanks, G-ma Becky

I watched him use one at a sewing expo and they seem to work quite well for a small space and small quilts.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

I have one, bought it off Craigslist for like $20, haven't used it yet, still working on my hand stitched GFG hexagon quilt. Sorry, I know this is no help to you.
    Peace!

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    i have one of the square versions...i see they are round pipe poles now... i have 2 different length along with the large pvc pipe used to support the long end of the frame while you work with the end under the machine arm. they are wonderful for hand quilting as well, which is how John Flynn says he used his for a long time before putting it under the machine... mine fits beautifully on my rocking chair arms...

the number one benefit as far as I'm concerned is the ability to stand it on end right behind a door or slide it under a bed to store... takes inches and is light enough for anyone to move, when necessary. NO BASTING!!! that's pretty cool, too....and of course, the ability to just purchase more poles and have any length you want...the ends will go back and forth as needed...
    Last edited by deemail; 11-15-2011 at 02:01 AM.

I am thinking of getting one of these so will be watcing this thread for good and bad comments
    People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said --but--They will always remember how you made them feel.

Have one in the closet. Don't use it. To bad you don't live closer I would give it to you. This one I have is for machine.
    Bring Your Conscious awareness to the source of loving and Caring

Flynn frames have been a topic here many times. Most people either love them or hate them - I think it has to do with whether they spent the time to practice with the frame, because it does take practice. I bought one and used it one time only, so I'm not one of those who spent the time to practice. I used mine with the metal rods extending it out to hold a large quilt, and the rods were so heavy I couldn't do much with the quilt, so I just basted it with water soluble thread and then quilted it on my DSM. (I now have a longarm, but I didn't then.) I didn't keep the frame, because I preferred doing large quilts in sections to trying to maneuver the long heavy rods. However, for a smaller quilt I think it will work very well - if you practice!

A friend and I both bought one years ago at a quilt show. I used it once. It took a very long time to set up and figure out what I was doing. I had a small crib quilt that I tried it on. Even a small crib quilt was too big for the frame. I could have quilted it myself a lot faster on my regular sewing machine. After hearing about my experience, my friend has never tried to use hers. Our opinion was that it was a waste of money.

Thank all of you for your replies. I appreciate everyone on here! I learn soo much each time I look here. Thanks again, G-ma Becky

I had one and just couldn't get the hang of it. I do more big quilts so it didn't really work for me.

Quilting is my therapy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast