Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Advice on Free Motion Quilting?

Advice on Free Motion Quilting?

I want to try this. Does anyone have suggestions? I've read a couple of articles and there are some tuts on YouTube I've watched. My biggest concern is having to stop in the middle of it.

KR
    Practice on some small things first.....scrap blocks, potholders, whatever.....until you build up your confidence. Videos are terrific but the best way to learn is to just do it.
    Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift....that's why it's called the present.
    Karen

Blog Entries
    you don't even have to use blocks or something pieced already. just make a sandwich of 2 fabrics and batting and start practicing. if you fill it up, change colors of thread and practice over the first
    Nancy in western NY

Stopping and starting again is very easy and once you get really good at it, you will never be able to tell where the stops and starts are. Just be sure that when you stop to move your quilt around that your needle is down. But really, like all the other comments, practice practice practice.

Check out Leah Day's website - she has a ton of good useful info on FMQ. The advice above is also very good. If you search the threads you will find a ton of info here on FMQ; everything from troubleshooting problems to great tutorials and tips. Good luck!
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

get some cheap muslin make small sandwiches, mark them and just sew away try different threads. They have skillbuilder panels that are premarked that are not too terribly expensive