Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice on fuisable fleece please >

Advice on fuisable fleece please

Advice on fuisable fleece please

Old 06-20-2010, 02:37 AM

I have enjoyed looking at all the Bow Tuck bags and am now the proud owner of the pattern. I am wondering about the fuisable fleece that is needed, I have looked on the net for suppliers here in the UK and there seems to be different kinds, ie low loft , high loft etc, and it is so very expensive here. I wonder if you could use stiff interfacing and basting spray, if not could anyone advise on the best kind to use. Also would someone mind being my bow tuck buddy in case I get stuck I did see some one had asked the first question I was puzzled with, the outside pocket and was grateful to see the answer, cant wait to get started.
Many thanks
Katherine
Old 06-20-2010, 03:17 AM

I use a pellon low loft fleece, I think the number is 987. If you can't find it, you could try a thin batting and basting spray or hand baste. You'd get a similar effect. Although if you do it that way, maybe cut the batting/fabric a little larger and trim after quilting.

I did one mine with fleece/quilting on the outside, but interfacing on the inside. It's got a little more body, but was very thick to sew. I also did a few as the pattern said with batting on both the outside and the lining. They came out fine too.

Holler if you need help! There are many of us that would be happy to assist you. :)
Old 06-20-2010, 03:48 AM

i use the same this that Katier used. how much do you need for your pattern? i could get your some, have coupons for Joanns..chipping would not be that much. let me know..no problem at all. my mum lives in England, so i know how to ship overseas..
Old 06-20-2010, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

I am wondering if the stiff interfacing would be too stiff and not have enough body to it? Maybe a cotton batting would work? You could quilt the fabric to hold the layers together, and add another design element, or use invisible thread if you want the quilting to be more subtle.

I think (I may be wrong) that you want to some how permanently keep the pieces "fused" together so that the layers don't separate. Isn't their a spray adhesive out now for applique that is permanent? Put out by Sulky I believe?

I believe they are being made with a low loft pellon, which is about as thick as my warm and natural cotton batting is :D:D:D
Old 06-20-2010, 10:05 AM

I use Pellon 987F as well. I love it.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:12 AM

That was a excellent question. I wasn't sure what to use myself. I am going to look for pellon loft fleece 987 Monday. you guys are to cool :wink:
Old 06-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

I have used batting in some of my bags. They are just fine.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for the information about the fleece, we all learn from each other
Old 06-20-2010, 12:59 PM

Hi Maxies2,

The cotton patch in the UK sell the quiivalent of Pellon 987.... for about £6.00 a metre

http://www.cottonpatch.co.uk/cgi-bin...%23a9844#a9844

Also if you can't contact them our equivalent is Vilene H30 which is quite easy to get hold of.

Hope this helps.

Caroline
Old 06-20-2010, 01:33 PM

My first purse pattern that called for this type of fleece was to expensive for me. I had lots of pieces of batting (at the time I was using 80/20 cotton/poly) that I just could never throw away so I put them to good use here. I ironed on the stuff you use for appliqué on one side of the batting then ironed it onto the fabric. I didn't even have to use much quilting to keep the batting from sagging after it was washed!! I now use warm and natural and will be using this in my future purses.

Good luck on what ever you substitute the pellon with.