Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice - how to pair colors for Framed Square quilt >

Advice - how to pair colors for Framed Square quilt

Advice - how to pair colors for Framed Square quilt

Old 09-16-2015, 07:24 PM

Default Advice - how to pair colors for Framed Square quilt

Hi all! I am making a "framed square" quilt with a jelly roll and charm squares, both from Moda's "Happy Sunshine" pattern. It is for my soon to be new nephew and will be a small baby quilt that they can put in his stroller or lay him on when he is on the floor.

The problem I am having is choosing what colors of strips go with what colors of squares. I have removed the ones with the really large print because none of them look right cut the way that they are cut. But the rest of them... no idea what to do. I tried to randomize it and that didn't look too good. Any tips? A lot of things say to break up the darks and the lights, but I am not really good at figuring out (with a few exceptions) what the orange and green ones are, dark or light, and the checkers...

These are the patterns:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]530932[/ATTACH]

Thanks for any advice you might offer.
Attached Thumbnails fabric.jpg  
Old 09-17-2015, 01:23 AM

I would pair a larger print in one color with a smaller print in another color. I prefer to lay them out in advance of sewing so I don't end up with 2 similar ones at the end of the pile.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

If you look at your samples, notice that you have 3 green small prints on the bottom and you have 3 large prints with green background etc. You can either pair the large print in green with the small print in green or do the 3 large prints with green background with the 3 small red background to mix them up.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:15 AM

You have gotten good advice above. Just remember not to stress too much over combinations. This is supposed to be fun!! When it is finished, only you will look at it and wonder if another possibility might have been better. lol! Darling fabric, btw.

Linda in MO
Old 09-17-2015, 07:54 PM

Thanks! I didn't think about the size of the pattern, only the colors. I was laying it out on a table and haven't cut or sewn anything. I'll post it all when it's done! Thanks!
Old 09-18-2015, 03:48 AM

What fun fabric. I say do whatever you want. Have a good time making your quilt. I would have been boring and bought a neutral beige fabric to use as a frame, but I love what you will be doing.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:58 AM

It will be cute with your fabrics. If you want more definition in your framed squares, I would buy some solid fabric in coordinating colors (the green, orange, blue and cream) and alternate each framed square with a print frame and a solid frame. This will help your pattern design really stand out.