Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice on Irons >

Advice on Irons

Advice on Irons

Old 09-10-2016, 04:07 AM
Power Poster

I have an older Rowenta made in Mexico. It works as a dry iron but spits water (I used the water recommended in the instructions) so now I use a Black and Decker digital advantage which has some heft to it and doesn't spit, but, I decided not to use water in it just in case.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:22 AM

I have had 2 Rowenta irons and both lasted about 4 years- each time, splattering water and not hot enough. Recently, I bit the bullet and bought an Oliso smart iron for $99 on Amazon. I read the reviews which were mixed. I will say that I love the iron and its features especially the ability to lay it down without worry of scorching fabric or iron board cover. It heats up fast and is a joy to iron piecework. I never thought I would spend this money on an iron but now wished I had long time ago.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:35 AM
Power Poster

I was at the cottage and had invited friends for a quilting weekend and needed an iron, so I went to WM and got a Shark. I LOVE it. After using it, one of my friends (a quilting instructor) got one too. It has an automatic shutoff, but it's on a long time before that kicks in and it re-heats very quickly. Might want to use your gift card for something else...
Old 09-10-2016, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I had the tiny little grey rowenta that I used as my dry iron. The other day it began to pop and crackle and smoke began pouring out of it. I quickly unplugged let it cool, cut the cord and disposed of it. No idea why but it really made me suspicious. I didn't use it that often so the iron time was small.
I had the same thing happen to me with my Rowenta travel iron! I used to swear by Rowenta irons. The first full sized one I had was made in Germany, lasted ten years. Loved that iron! Replaced it with an expensive, professional grade Rowena made in China and it died in 7 months. Called the company and was told that the warrenty on professional irons was six months, so there was nothing they could do for me. I have been using Shark and Black and Decker irons since then. Both are very affordable, lots of steam and the average life has been about 3 years on both brands. I wish I could find an iron like my original Rowenta, but hesitate to spend big bucks, just to be disappointed.

Last edited by lovelyl; 09-10-2016 at 05:13 AM.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:46 AM

DH bought me an Oliso for my birthday, caught it on sale on Amazon for $63, & free shipping, but I starch & iron my scraps before cutting into usable pieces & often sit for several hours in the winter cutting them. I'm afraid the up & down motion will wear out, I mean you don't have it down but a few seconds or up for a few cause I'm ironing small pieces for a very short time. I've read where that option quits after a time on the Oliso, anyone else have this problem?
Old 09-10-2016, 06:21 AM

I bought a cheap Hamilton Beach at Big Lots about 5 years ago. I decided to quit putting in water. I use a spray bottle. It is still working just fine. I also use starch or Best Press quite often. This one looks like an old fashioned one.

I would use my GC for rotary blades or other things I use often. I buy the Country Cotton solids at Joannes when they are half price and find them pretty good. I use alot of white in my quilts.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

I bought my current rowenta on qvc on special. It is the Mercedes Benz fashion version. It has an amazing amount of steam when I iron garments. Really cuts down on the ironing time. Great price there too. But, it is hard to see the water level, because of the purple colored plastic. But, It gets hot and I like that.

Before that I had a very expensive black and decker I gave my brother because it was so heavy it hurt my wrist to use it.

So guess what I found new in the box at a second hand store a couple weeks ago? An honest to goodness top of the line GE! I had not seen one of these since I lived at home with my mom. It has all of the warranty cards and instructions and I could not believe it. Completely never used! Remember these have the braided fabric cord? So when my current iron bites the dust I will use that one.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:42 AM

I would go with the Oliso iron over a Rowenta. I know many people that have had Rowenta's die in under two years. I only know one person that had any problems with an Oliso, and she got excellent customer service from the company. I know there are other stories on the internet, but in my experience Oliso owners seem much more satisfied than Rowenta owners. I also love the pop-up feature of the Olisos - I bought one after using it at a retreat for a weekend. Much easier on the wrist than tipping a heavy iron up on end.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

I always put my iron in a iron stand that prevents it from falling even if the cord is pulled after each use. With the Oliso I will get out of that habit. The stand has saved me many iron fall incidents so I won't give that up.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:12 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

My Rowenta lasted through 3 moves and 15 years, but it seldom had water in it. Two things are important for me in an iron: a sole plate that can be cleaned (think shiny) and enough weight. Got a Shark to replace it. 15 min auto shut-off. Love it. Use the card for other items.