Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice on Irons >

Advice on Irons

Advice on Irons

Old 09-10-2016, 05:05 PM

I too have had several Rowenta's and they too died pretty quickly. I got an Oliso and I like it BUT it no longer will steam. I wonder if there are ANY really good irons with longevity out there. Good luck with whatever you decide on.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
I love my yellow Oliso iron. It is the one that pops up by itself when you are done. That said, it is far cheaper to buy it on Amazon than Jo Anns, and often free shipping.
I have the yellow Oliso, too. I've been really happy with it. I bought mine from Bed, Bath & Beyond with the 20% off coupon and gift cards I got from my credit card points. I only ended up having to put $25 on my credit card for it!
Old 09-10-2016, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Rowenta use to be made in Germany. The company was sold and now the irons are made in China. Some are great some are horrible. I don't think the quality control is very good at all. I quit buying expensive irons. I buy a high wattage iron at Walmart and forget it.
There are still many made in Germany, you have to check the models. I think some are also made in Mexico. I have one that I just purchased in may from QVC as my rowenta I had for years was ruined by my brother. I purchased an oliso but wasn't happy with it and it is in a box. I love my QVC Rowenta.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:34 PM

I posted on the pressing thread too, I have a cheap iron from big box store and I like it pretty well, it gets a bit heavy and that's without water in it, I use a spray bottle cause water tends to kill irons for me. I'm debating a dry iron but due to medical issues I'm back at the weight dilemma. Several quilting pals I know use vintage irons from decades ago, one got hers at thrift shop and had the cord replaced with a modern cord. Gets much hotter than a modern iron
Old 09-11-2016, 02:45 AM

I've had my pink Olisio almost two years and love it. It shuts off after 8 minutes and it reheats quickly. This saves on electricity as compared to the 30 minutes for the yellow Olisio. I used a Rowenta steam generator almost 6 years before it started to smell as if it was burning. Replaced it with another steam generator; I should have known better because it went bad within a couple years, a very expensive lesson!
Old 09-11-2016, 03:07 AM

I bought a Rowenta last year and it gets a lot of use...I didn't purchase it at Joann's but maybe ordered it online. Anyhow, I don't think I would spend the money again... It works fine but it is heavy and I probably could have done with a Black & Decker. I purchased a Shark for my summer home but it leaks like crazy.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:42 AM

I, too, have a Proctor-Silex and it's been a workhorse. Love it! Got it long enough ago that I don't recall when (many years ago) or where. We have a water softener and I use that water for steam or spray.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:49 AM

I bought my Rowenta in 2005. It gets lots of use, especially on sew dates and at retreats with no issues.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:57 AM

I have the yellow Oliso & I am very happy with it. Have had it for almost 2 years & haven't had a lick of trouble with it. My hubby surprised me with it for Christmas in 2014. I find Rowenta irons too heavy & after reading all the posts about them catching on fire, I wouldn't get one now if it was free !! IMHO, anyway.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:26 AM

Had two Rowentas here and hated both of them. Went to Walmart and pd $14.00 for a low end iron and have it now for 4 yrs and still going strong.