Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice on looking for table for free motion quilting >

Advice on looking for table for free motion quilting

Advice on looking for table for free motion quilting

Old 07-27-2014, 12:40 PM

Default Advice on looking for table for free motion quilting

I have a Brother's 1500s sewing machine purchased with free motion quilting in mind. Not being able to purchase an expensive quilting frame I opted for Ken Lunds setup and have had some success with it. Prior to his setup I used the machine for free motion quilting, just decided I would like to have the quilt on rollers enabling me to quilt larger quilt with more ease. My setup now is tight and makes my back sore, I have a bulging disk. With all that in mind I was wondering about using the machine with a table that allows me to sit in front of the end of the machine and kind of go back to the hand held free motion quilting. I have searched the web for such a table and haven't been able to find one. I was hoping someone could give me some help. As I said my present setup from Ken Lund's frame, I plan to go back and make some adjustments to hopefully make the carriage move easier. I have the ability to make the frame larger and stitch queen size quilts. Just looking for some answers and thoughts from other quilters. Thanking all in advance.
Lorraine from North Carolina
Old 07-27-2014, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

There are some older threads on modifications for the Ken Lund frame. Here is a link to one:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t195959.html
If you use the "search" box in the upper righthand corner for "Ken Lund" you may find more.

It seems to me that you need a wide and long table that is fairly low. Do you have an Ikea store anywhere near you? I think you could find what you need there, as they sell table tops and legs separately. For a chair to slide around, I would get either an armless office swivel chair with pneumatic lift, or one of the dentist chairs off eBay that sell for around $40 (considerably cheaper than similar "saddle" type chairs sold for quilting). Here is a sample dentist chair:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Footrest-Sad...item43c9ab4493
Old 07-27-2014, 01:34 PM

thanks, lets see what I can come up with, thanks again. Anyone else have any ideas I would appreciate them as well.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:36 PM

I purchased and attached those rollers but they were too free but I think I will go back and apply them again and them it another try. Can't hurt. thanks
Old 07-27-2014, 04:29 PM

Prism's idea about an Ikea table sounds especially good for you if you get the adjustable legs. That way, you can adjust the height as your back gets better or if your chair changes.

Hugs,
Charlotte
Old 07-27-2014, 07:12 PM
Power Poster

The other possibility is to learn to quilt in sections. Check out Marti Michell's book, Machine Quilting in Sections. I used to use her methods, and I thought it was better than Quilt As You Go, since you make the top in almost exactly the same way you would anyway, just putting some advance thought into how you are going to divide up the sections.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:54 PM

I bought a saddle stool and it is great. I believe I paid $127.00 for it and well worth the money. I got it on online. Even amazon was higher.But I have had six back surgery's and I knew if I was able to quilt any I would have to have something. Good luck Just check all the sites that you can find I didn't have to pay shipping or sales tax