Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice needed: Any Viking Sapphire users out there? >

Advice needed: Any Viking Sapphire users out there?

Advice needed: Any Viking Sapphire users out there?

Old 01-19-2011, 01:23 PM

Because of viking inventory (they shipped a few trade ups to my joanns)and being at the right place at the right time.... I was told that the Sapphire 870 on the floor I could get for 788$, originally 2500$ ( I now have an Emerald 118 that I was told I could trade in and get full price toward a new one)...They also told me that there would be a Sapphire 850 for trade in coming anyday..It will be 688$ ( I made sure to put a deposit on the 870)...I swore I would not pay over 500 for a machine until I knew I'd be quilting for a long time...But, these have soo many upgrades including the larger throat I'm dying to have... I called hubby and he was thrilled to hear about the bigger throat= doing some of my own quilting..And he offered go buy it for me tomorrow!

Do any of you have a Sapphire? 870? 850?.... What has been your experience? I came home and read some reviews on PatternReview on the 870 last night..Several said they had problems with the auto tention and or bobbin bouncing around.. A few said that was on the older models which were now fixed ( I have no idea how old this trade in is)...Others loved it...I was told I get a one yr warrenty... Any Advice?
Old 01-19-2011, 01:25 PM

I have a Designer 1, and love it!!! They make a great product!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 01:26 PM

yea, the Designer will be my next upgrade...It has embroidery ability! lol
Old 01-19-2011, 01:27 PM

I have both a Designer 1 and an SE love both of them, youngest DD has laid claim on the Designer 1, named her Chloe, hardly lets me have a tuen with her :) :)
Old 01-19-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by ArtisticDesign
yea, the Designer will be my next upgrade...It has embroidery ability! lol
See if they can get you a D1 or SE on this trade, our viking center is getting quite a few in on trades for the newer sapphires (I think that's the latest machine)
Old 01-19-2011, 01:46 PM

Hmmm, do I dare chance waiting? What with hubby being suddenly generous lol... And of course she was very doubtful they'd be getting any more trade ins anytime soon lol

I also read the 870 was being phased out..But, it's still a pretty good deal..
Old 01-19-2011, 01:49 PM

I have the 870 and no problems. I love it, especially the extra throat space.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:55 PM

:: Big Smile ::.. tanks quiltsRfun...:: dancin around singing> I'm gonna get a deep throat..Im gonna get a deeep throat.......pause::: Wait, That don't sound right lol

Seriously, Im really excited to have one of the better machines..Me and one other girl in the classes had the "low end Emeralds" and we were so teased lol..All through class we made jokes about sitting together at the remedial table etc lol
Old 01-19-2011, 01:56 PM

I have an 850, and I have mixed feelings about it.

My advice on the machine is to make sure your dealer is someone you feel comfortable turning to if you have a problem. Mine basically shoved the box in my arms and showed me the door. Sapphire owners with responsible dealers seem have a better experience!

There's also a Yahoo group for Viking Sapphire owners that is a great resource, even if you only read the old posts. They are enthusiastic about loving their machines.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by ArtisticDesign
Several said they had problems with the auto tention and or bobbin bouncing around.. A few said that was on the older models which were now fixed ( I have no idea how old this trade in is)...Others loved it...I was told I get a one yr warrenty... Any Advice?
I believe the take up lever has been fitted with something to keep the thread from jumping off. I've also read about new tension assemblies, so you might ask your dealer about these issues.