Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice needed for binding on old quilts >

Advice needed for binding on old quilts

Advice needed for binding on old quilts

Old 03-16-2016, 09:15 AM

Default Advice needed for binding on old quilts

I was given these two quilts about 6-8 years by a friend who was given them by a client of hers. She knew I quilted and loved all things quilted so she asked if I wanted them. YES! The are hand sewn and quilted by hand and finished except for the bindings.

I would like to finish them up but am not sure what to use for the binding. Here is the first one with a picture of the center medallion. The pink fabric is like a sateen finished cotton. Very soft. Would this look okay bound in muslin?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]544979[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]544980[/ATTACH]
This next quilt's background fabric is a pale yellow fabric and the backing is pale pink. Both are light weight material. Would this be okay bound with muslin as well?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]544981[/ATTACH]
These quilts are beautiful and I want to add to not take away from their value/attractiveness. Thanks for all your suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails pink-embroidered-quilt.jpg   pink-quilt-inset.jpg   double-wedding-ring.jpg  
Old 03-16-2016, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

I think on the first one, I would look to see if you can find a print that matches the pink. The scalloped edge on the DWR is an eye catching feature. I think I would try and find a green print that matches the green squares where the rings meet. If you can't find anything that matches, a good quality muslin is always an option. I would go with a natural or tea stain as opposed to the bleached white. Please post photos when they are bound. You sure got a wonderful gift!
Old 03-16-2016, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

If you can find matching fabric then bind with that (pretty difficult). I think binding with natural muslin will be fine. You can always rebind later if you come across the perfect colour at a later date.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

The bindings is the part of the quilt that gets the most wear. There must be a large quilt store near you and I would take both quilts in and see what is available. If you could post a closer photo of the second quilt, one of us would probably have one of the calicos that were in the DWR. They are both beautiful quilts and you are so lucky to have been given them.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:49 AM

Wow! Both are beautiful quilts and appear to be well-done. No ideas as to binding, which like all the rest of quilting is individual taste.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:00 PM

muslin is so thin! if i could get a tight woven type of muslin, it would still be my last choice. it's a shame to put all that work into it & watch it wear down. i would certainly look for something stronger -- possibly a 50/50 cotton poly in a matching solid. [and why i'm thinking pink for the DWR i don't know!]
i recently repaired a very old quilt which did not have binding -- and after repairing the body of the quilt i was so thankful. it's amazing the wear & tear even if they are just displayed. -- you could always RST & end of story! EZ!
no matter what your choices, they are beautiful heirlooms, how lucky you are to enjoy them!
Old 03-16-2016, 12:32 PM

There are a lot of really good muslins out there. You have to look and feel. All of the ideas before me would be perfect, or a good muslin would be also. Your quilts are just beautiful.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:58 PM

I think the wedding ring needs a knife edge binding, not that I know how to do that! But I'm sure you can find instructions if you need to. My mother made me a hand pieced, hand quilted double wedding ring in the 80s and that is how she finished it. To me it just goes with that pattern. Other than that it will need bias binding and I would look for something that matches the background. The pink one could use muslin that matches the background of the blocks or regular quilting fabric, but I think it would look best to try to blend with of match the pink rather than have the contrast of a light fabric. They are both beautiful, you are very fortunate to have these.