Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice needed: Buying older machines >

Advice needed: Buying older machines

Advice needed: Buying older machines

Old 07-13-2010, 10:13 AM

Wish I was driving to Kentucky today. But a bit far from Spokane area in WA. Sounds like a really great way to pick up some great sewing machines.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Tell us where this store is so that if we're ever passing through..... I don't think any of us will run in and get the machine you want in the next few days. LOL
LOL! They have so many, there's probably enough for everybody, LOL!

Seriously, though, their stock changes FAST. What they have today won't be what they have next week. Which is great, but I've missed out on many good things, trying to come back and get it in a day or two instead of when I first found it.

The store is in Pikeville, Ky. The name is "Charity Thrift Store". Is it ok to post the address and phone number? If not, pm and I'll give it to you.

That place is HUGE. Its in an old CocaCola bottling plant. It's like a Walmart, LOL. They are pretty disorganized, too. But, its worth sifting through everything for the great stuff I've got there.

I got some Readers Digests from the 30's and 40's for 5 or 6 for $1.75! I then resold some on ebay for $10 each! They have tons of books, tons of old patterns, and even fabric sometimes.

There's one older man that works there, I think he's the "manager" or something, but he will make a deal with you. Once he sold me an entire big box of sewing stuff(patterns, fabric, notions, magazines,etc) for $5! The ladies that work there won't do that, but he will, so I try to find him whenever I go.

The one thing I don't like about them is their furniture. They are usually way overpriced on those type things. But, I don't usually buy stuff like that from there anyway, so its ok.

They also have TONS of name brand golf clubs for $2 each, if you golf or have a spouse who does! My Brother in Law got a whole set of some big brand name(I know nothing about them, lol) with a very nice bag for around $25.

The place is worth going to just for the books and sewing machines!

P.S. I just noticed in my original post that I made a typo, lol. I have a Brother XL2021, not a 9021. It won't let me edit it.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

Wow, I wish I could find a store like that!!!!!!!
I love the older sewing machines, with real metal! I have an old Necchi that I love, some old Singers that are great, and a real pretty old Japanese model! Good luck finding a GREAT machine!