Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice needed: Jean Quilt or not.. >

Advice needed: Jean Quilt or not..

Advice needed: Jean Quilt or not..

Old 01-07-2012, 11:30 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
Default Advice needed: Jean Quilt or not..

Hubby finally went thru my late MIL clothing.. alot are going to be given away to friends and family and the rest will be given to goodwill.. Ive kept her Tshirts and will be making a Tshirt quilts out of them..

However here is my dilemma..

there are A LOT of jeans that i can make a fairly large jean quilt possibly a rag quilt but I have never made a JEAN anything.. How hard is it? will every other word be a profanity as im working on it?!?!?!? I love the idea of making it out of moms jeans but I really dont want to take on a project that im so going to regret. AND feel guilty for ruining a good pair of jeans that someone could of made better use. I know people out there would buy them if I donated them at goodwill..

ADVICE AND HELP NEEDED PLEASE....
Old 01-07-2012, 01:54 PM

I love working with jeans. I have made 4 jean quilts. I use the denim needle. The first one I made was 6" squares and I backed it with plaid flannel. It turned out great. The other three I cut stips of 4 inches wide and from 6" to 20" long then sewed them together and backed it with a sheet. That way we can use it on the ground when we go for picnics. I will try to post some pics of them later.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:37 PM

there's a million things to do with levis..how about cutting off the waist to seat area and making a tote bag for each of her grandkids..even guys will carry a laptop bag made of denim... use 1 leather belt in the waistband and two more to buckle together for the shoulder strap... put the buckle ends at the bag, they hurt the shoulder, for the guys,preferably with a '60s hippie belt buckles,.... girly touches are easier to come by for the girls and all 4 pockets are still intact for use... then you have all the leg areas to use for quilts ....

use a new rotary blade, cut out all seams on pants or leave in but put seam AWAY from new seams... and use a size 16 sharp (not ball point) needle...
Old 01-07-2012, 02:46 PM

My husband has been carrying a jean bag carry on I made him 2 years ago He is always being stopped by men and women alike at the airports asking him where he got the bag. He always tells them his wife made it for him. I have made several quilts from jeans and have never had a bit of trouble sewing them. I made one out of just 5" squares and ragged the seams and didn't back it at all it is very warm and also a great trunk and picnic quilt. Wears like Iron but washes so well. Then for the girly bags I line them and use the same material as shoulder straps and use a cordnating fabric as a fabric belt through the loops. The girls always love them also. Oh I've also made backpacks out of them the kids seem to like them for car bags so they can carry their games and such on trips.

Last edited by valleyquiltermo; 01-07-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Power Poster

A jeans quilt was on my bucket list, and I recently finally started on one.

My biggest caution is that cutting jeans with a rotary cutter is very hard on the basal thumb joint. It caused the arthritis in the thumb joint of my dominant hand to flare, and I still haven't gotten it to entirely calm down. It would definitely be easier on the hands to use a die-cutter on jeans fabric.

I used an electric scissors to cut the jeans into useable pieces, and I would advise not starting a jeans quilt without this tool! I probably would have gotten an arthritis flare from cutting up just one pair of jeans. Even with the electric scissors, just cutting apart the jeans took quite a bit of time.

I too struggled with the issue of someone getting to wear the jeans. Plus, no one in my family really wants a jeans quilt. I'm pretty sure the jeans quilt I am making will get use over the years but, now that I have actually worked with jeans, I think it's the only one I'm going to make. It is much easier working with regular fabric than with denim, and I think my fabric quilts will get just as much use and appreciation as the jeans quilt.

For me, anyway, my advice is to donate the jeans and work on something else!
Old 01-07-2012, 11:56 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Ive decided to use the jeans.. Apparently this post got posted twice.. WHOOPS..
On the other post a member posted a link to a jean quilt she wanted to make..
BINGO !!!! that was it.. I knew it was the one.. Right then and there I knew I WANTED to make hubby THIS jean quilt..
OK so I was over excited and I decided to do a test run.. I
OMGosh.. !!! It was soooo easy. my sewing machine sewed thru it like butter..
I used my GO die to cut the 5in circles, then I used my 3.5in Die to cut the sqs, but the sqs do need to be cut down some- so im thinking i need to rotary cut the sqs down to 3.25in and I think it will fit better..
I havent decided yet if I want batting.. Its seems pretty light so I may put warm & natural as hubby likes the weight of his blankets pretty heavy- he's so opposite from me.. but Its for him so Im thinking it will have batting..

this is just a sample.. the center sqs will all be scrappy, definitely not all the same like the pic..

So whatcha think??

[ATTACH=CONFIG]301310[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]301312[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1266.jpg   img_1267.jpg  
Old 01-08-2012, 04:11 AM

Depends on the size of the jeans ie;size 4 or size24. Could cut them into squares or better yet into strips and still do the raggedy thing. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:18 AM

I agree with the advice to make one quilt and then donate the rest of the jeans. That way you won't feel guilty about using up the jeans, and you won't feel guilty either about not making the quilt after you've donated the jeans. Now you've covered both issues.