Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice needed: Jean Quilt or not.. >

Advice needed: Jean Quilt or not..

Advice needed: Jean Quilt or not..

Old 01-09-2012, 09:20 PM

Default Jean quilt

When my father passed away, I took about 30 pair of jeans apart, saved pockets, loops, everything that I might eventually use. I made six of his grandchildren large throws with their initials embroidered in the 6x6 blocks, I lined them with red fabric. and the initials were in red. I still have not given them to the kidsbecause I don't have all of them finished, but they turned out wonderful. I put batting between the top and bottom. The first one I madeI tacked it at the corners, but since then I have bought a longarm and the 2nd one I quilted on the long arm. I so spend he time it will be wonderful in the future for he gkids.When I would put the iron to the fabric I could smell the scent of my fathers after shaveeven though they had been washed time and time again.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:33 AM

Just spotted these direction for a really pretty denim quilt.
http://www.frogsonice.com/quilts/denim/
Old 01-11-2012, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
Thanks for your comments.. I have the big rag die for the go so the 'raggie-ness' wont be an issue.. I guess Im just worried about the level of thickness and how difficult it is to sew thru.. I have a pfaff 7570 and its not wimpy but Ive never tackled a jean project before.. And if I do this hubby would be thrilled if I used his moms jeans.. he loves the jean quilts and if it was out of his moms jean it would be a double bonus.. I guess Im afraid to screw it up...

I say do it!!! No matter how it turns out you DH will love it!!! Just use heavy duty needles and take your time - looking forward to seeing finished project!!! I have a denim quilt and love the weight of it - my two girls are fighting over it so I will just keep it and let them figure it out after I'm gone lol
Old 01-11-2012, 09:14 AM

Take the really good ones to Goodwill and make a lap quilt out of the others and no I don't think any profanity will pass your lips. LOL
Old 01-11-2012, 09:31 AM

It's not much harder to make. It is a little heavier and you want to use a denim needle. My mom just made one last year for her couch and I quilted it for her on the longarm. It turned out beautiful.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:22 PM

I've made 2 and they were very HEAVY, but some folks like that! Personally I like mine soft and light - I'd never make them again, the 2 I made were given to my exhusband, he loves them!
Old 06-18-2016, 11:13 AM

this message was posted a number of years ago but just had to reply ... I think jean quilts are the easiest to make. I cut in a variety of sizes from 6.5 down to 2.5 in lengths and some squares. I try not to have any seams match up cuz they can be thick to sew thru. no batt, and usually flannel on the back. Last year I made 5 for my grandkids, in the last 2 wks I made 2 for charity ... I made one top in one day. working on another now but running out of a variety of colors.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:14 AM

Oh, they make great quilts for taking to the park, the beach, keep in the car, use at kids' sports events etc,, They are SO durable!
Old 06-18-2016, 11:17 AM

I've never put batt in the 8 denim quilts I've made. heavy enough. and I like flannel on the back, personal choice
Old 06-19-2016, 02:28 AM
Power Poster

Jean quilts are very heavy quilts. Just keep that in mind.