Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice to a new quilter - >

Advice to a new quilter -

Advice to a new quilter -

Old 09-07-2015, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
What a great thread, I've learned a few of these myself. My biggest one is to make a quilt I want to make and if I want to give one away, let them choose from the ones I've already finished. It never works for me to make someone a quilt. Either I don't like the pattern, colors or person. One I wish I had learned. To photograph every quilt and print out the photo. I keep saying I'm going to do that and just seem to keep a running list on my iPhone.
I just added albums here and on Facebook. Here so I know where they are and can say anything I want to. Facebook so family and friends see what I am up to!
Old 09-07-2015, 07:07 AM

If a fabric is ugly, it will always be ugly. No matter how well it blends with the other fabrics in your quilt. And if it is cheaply made, it won't get any better. No matter how well it blends.....
Old 09-07-2015, 07:13 AM

I think that you covered about everything.........................
Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Some of the things I wish someone had told me - before I learned for myself!

Make a few quilts before offering to make one for everyone I know.

Learn to say "no" if/when someone asks for a quilt - or to mend something - or to replace a zipper.

Learn to value my work and time - even for gifts - and how to calculate replacement cost of materials used - if someone balks at a suggested price - suggest they buy it "ready-made"

It is easier - and less expensive in the long run - to work with good quality materials (regardless of where they were purchased) than to work with poor quality materials.

Recycling is fine - but trying to use a warped blanket for batting does not work out well (the neighbor lady did this - I tried to talk her out of it, but she was determined - it did not work out well!)

It is easier to make mistakes when one is very tired.

Stashes and extra supplies are a mixed blessing. It's nice to have stuff on hand - but it is money tied up in inventory. And space taken. I think - in hindsight - those that buy for one project at a time- even at "regular prices" and have basic tools probably spent a lot less money over-all than I have over the years.

(I do enjoy going through my stuff - but - I do have more stuff than necessary!)

It is okay to change my mind about original choices.

The patterns/directions sometimes have errors in them.

Anything you had to learn the hard way?
Old 09-07-2015, 07:19 AM

the old saying measure twice, cut once is absolutely true. Make sure you have enough fabric before embarking on a large project. Don't worry too much about the backing color etc but make sure it's as nice as the front.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:58 AM

Great post! I want to add if you need coordinating fabric, take a scrap sample with you. Do not buy a fabric you see that you think coordinates because you can see it in your mind. Now you have another fabric that works with nothing in your stash
Old 09-07-2015, 08:36 AM

My biggest lesson was to make a practice block every time. I have found so many patterns that were only partially correct and if you just cut first, you can really have regrets, or a smaller quilt when finished
Old 09-07-2015, 08:54 AM

Where in OK do you live. We are moving to Granite, OK from Port Orchard, WA. We will be moving just as soon as our house here in WA sells.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:55 AM

I have been asked several times if I make quilts for sale - and the answer is always NO. This is my hobby and I am really enjoying doing my hobby now that I am retired. If I make quilts for sale, then my hobby becomes a job! I retired for a reason! Now,having said that, I have done one or two commission quilts to be used as charitable fund raisers. I realized a long time ago that "just say no" meant keeping my sanity.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:10 AM

Don't expect non-quilters to love hearing about what you do. It's like talking another hobby: genealogy; their eyes will begin to glaze over.

If you give a quilt -- or anything you've made, away -- be prepared to really "let it go", as in, you can't control how they treat it or what they do with it.

Also: be prepared to grow bored with whatever project you are working on before it is finished; this is where doggedness comes in. When it's done, you'll love it again.

Be prepared to make mistakes on anything cut or sewn after midnight.....unless you slept all day!
Old 09-07-2015, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by M cubed View Post
I have been asked several times if I make quilts for sale - and the answer is always NO. This is my hobby and I am really enjoying doing my hobby now that I am retired. If I make quilts for sale, then my hobby becomes a job! .

How I feel, too. Someone in my family is always saying, about something I've made: "you could sell those!" More power to those who do, but I have no desire to turn a hobby into a business.