Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice please >

Advice please

Advice please

Old 06-28-2011, 08:08 PM

I am in a pickle and need some advice. First, let me admit that I am a perfectionist. A group of ladies from my church expressed the desire to make a quilt as a surprise gift for another lady in our church who is a missionary in Africa. Some of the ladies are experienced quilters, some are not. This is a project that has been batted around for two years and never got off the ground so I said if they really wanted to do it, I would organize the project. I worked with another quilter to choose the blocks and I supplied all the fabric. We are meeting for 2 1/2 hours twice a week so it is a big time commitment for me because I have to go to the church and get everything set up and ready before the other ladies arrive, then tear down and put everything away before I leave. I have asked an experienced quilter to work alongside each of the novices and I 'roam' lending help where needed. This morning, as I was gathering up the blocks that had been completed, I found that one block is especially wonky. The seams are closer to 3/8 than quarter inch in many places and in other places they are less than an eighth, the block was not pressed during construction, and overall, it is just really sloppy looking. We are using Rhonda's cut down method so there is really no reason for this block to be such an eyesore except that the person who made it was very secretive during it's construction. The quilt will require 40 blocks and, including the wonky block, we have 17 completed. Here's my dilemma; Should I ask this lady to do the block over? Should I un-sew it myself and try to salvage the fabric and restitch it? Should the block magically disappear? Should I just whip up a new block and replace it? None of the blocks has any identifying mark on it, the rest of the blocks are beautiful and line up perfectly. I realize that my perfectionism can be a real serious character flaw. I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings, but I'm not sure what is the right (gracious) thing to do here. What do you all think?
Old 06-28-2011, 08:13 PM

No quilt is perfect, just as no human is perfect. That being said, we all have different levels of tolerating things. I know that I would most likely take it apart and resew it the best that I could with what I had to work with. That way I would still have the same basic block as was made by the other person, just sewn a bit better. Then I would use it in the quilt where it belongs. JMHO
Old 06-28-2011, 08:21 PM

I think I would do the same. Some people will always do that no matter what. I guess if you aren't very good at sewing you maybe should say so, then no one will expect you to take part.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:21 PM

I agree, I would take it apart and resew it. Hopefully it will come out close enough so it will work fine in the quilt. Since no one knows which block is which, just do it and don't tell anyone else.

Kat
Old 06-28-2011, 08:24 PM

I would very quietly fix it. The less said, the better. It won't be perfect, but it will be acceptable. For the next round, pay attention to that pairing and offer gentle corrections as the block progresses.

You also need to request some help setting up and taking down. Doing it alone can get old in a hurry.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by irishrose
I would very quietly fix it. The less said, the better. It won't be perfect, but it will be acceptable. For the next round, pay attention to that pairing and offer gentle corrections as the block progresses.

You also need to request some help setting up and taking down. Doing it alone can get old in a hurry.
Very sound advice I think:).
Old 06-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Power Poster

Maybe the reason the lady was secretive was because she knew that the block wasn't very good. She probably just wants to be a part of the project. How well do you know her? Was someone experienced working by her? No one likes to think that their work isn't up to par. Does she act like she is enjoying herself? Maybe you could get her to help you set up and take down (I feel that all of the ladies should help). Don't you think that she will notice that her block has changed? Is everyone using the same fabric? You are between a rock and a hard place for sure. Good Luck.BrendaK.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:47 PM

I totally agree with the above! It's hard to avoid hurting someone's feelings, but at the same time you want to present a quality product. Correct the wonky block to the best of your ability without saying anything.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Power Poster

I agree with the above.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:07 PM

As a member of the quilt ministry at my church I can totally and completely understand your dilema. We make quilts for people within our congregation that are suffering from serious illnesses. It has been my experience that sometimes, regardless of how much help you offer, some people are just not really good at sewing or quilting. I am a co-leader with another lady and we have spent countless hours re-sewing blocks, pulling off borders, pulling off backs, etc. We just don't have the heart to tell the people there are problems with it. I think they probably already know but really want to help. It is a very uncomfortable position to be in because, obviously, we want our quilts to be durable and to be pleasing looking to the recipient. And, overall, it is a gift from our church.

There are some quilts that we have "put away" to be saved for the future and will most likely not be given out. It is so hard because these ladies are so kind with their time and are so grateful to be a part of our ministry! Sometimes we have found other jobs for them like putting ties into the quilts or coloring a bag that the quilt will be delivered in, etc.

In answer to your question I would probably try and pull the block apart and see if it's salvagable. On the flip side at least it is a block and not an entire quilt! If there is no hope you can discreetly "put it away". It most likely will not be noticed as missing.

Take care and God bless you!
Kim