Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice on prewashing needed >

Advice on prewashing needed

Advice on prewashing needed

Old 03-05-2009, 02:35 PM

Thanks all. I think I am going to go ahead and do the complete quilt without prewashing since it is already cut for the pattern (kit!). I will then wash with the Synthrapol and give my son some dye catcher sheets to use when he washes it (gift for him).
Old 03-06-2009, 06:09 AM

I never wash fabric before using it. I wash all my quilts in synthropol and a dye sheet and have never had any problems. My wall hangings hardly ever get washed anyway. My DD washed an antigue quilt with synthropol and it came out beautiful and it was really stained.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:54 AM

i don't trust red. or blue for that matter. i would put them in a pan on the stove and GENTLY heat the water til very hot using retayne. i would separate the blues and reds. then compare the size against the white. if you need to, simmer the white as well. my motto is:

NO SURPRISES
Old 03-11-2009, 07:37 AM

I've almost never pre-washed. Only if required for an exchange. Last Christmas, I did pre-wash for an exchange at our guild - luckily. Some Debbie Mumm fabric bled so much I thought there would be no color left.

I've used lots of batiks, never had a problem with them, either. Maybe I'd be a bit more careful if I'd bought them at Joanns? As I'm getting ready for a retreat, and am taking a project with two gorgeous reds, I thought I'd better wash it. One is a batik. No red came out at all. But now I have to prewash the rest, I think? I don't mind a little shrinkage, kind of like that wrinkly look, but think if I've done some of what will be used in a project, I've got to do all. It's just made extra work, as far as I'm concerned.

If you are worried about color bleeding, I'd take a white washcloth, dampen it and blot on the fabric to see if any color transfers. If you find you have to wash it, put it in a lingerie bag on delicate.

But if you don't HAVE to wash it, you can start sewing lots faster, lol.