Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice on purchasing used Innova? >

Advice on purchasing used Innova?

Advice on purchasing used Innova?

Old 05-26-2016, 06:22 PM

If you think you will use it often and the money is not too much of a stretch, then go for it! Innova has a great rep and the 26" vs 22" is not an issue if you can not reach the back of a 26" (my Gammill is that lenght and it is a stretch!). I hear what you have said about taking it apart yourself--I was nervous buying my Gammill used and felt such relief when an area tech was able to meet me at the sellers house and once I purchased, brought it to my house and set it up. KNow others have said they don't use several of the features--but the Towa gauge has saved me so much headache once I figured out how to use it, and I use the horizonal channel lock when I attach a quilt to start (rarely other than that), and the seperate bobbin winding is a must! Wish I had the electric advance, and I love the stitch regulator--have heard good stuff about the Lightening system Innova uses.
As far as health--if your's is good now, don't use that as reason not to purchase if you want and will use it--ANYone could have a health problem suddenly! And while standing is certainly important, I have found that I can use my drafting stool for much of the work that isn't edge to edge. You might want to ask if the seller will throw in the rulers and thread she has for this price, too!
Old 05-27-2016, 03:41 PM

There is a used Innova 22 with a 9 foot table listed for $13,995 on longarmuniversity.com. Has been there since March. You can check it out as a comparable to help you decide.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

If you just want a machine to play check out the Juki TL-2200 QVP. I just bought one and it was a lot of machine for a lot less then that used one...
Old 05-28-2016, 10:39 AM

I would test it out and then decide exactly what I wanted to do. If you can afford it and like it, then I'd say, go for it. Maybe you could pay whoever delivered it and set it up for her to do the same for you?

Dina
Old 05-28-2016, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

My husband and I spent a day going back and forth over this. Finally decided not to buy right now. We have a huge house to sell in a dead market and I just didn't feel comfortable making such a large cash outlay right now for what is essentially a luxury hobby item. I do have a Voyager 17 with Hinterberg frame, so it's not like I don't have any ability to frame quilt already. It's just that the Innova would be comparable to a BMW while my Voyager is more like a VW bug.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
My husband and I spent a day going back and forth over this. Finally decided not to buy right now. We have a huge house to sell in a dead market and I just didn't feel comfortable making such a large cash outlay right now for what is essentially a luxury hobby item. I do have a Voyager 17 with Hinterberg frame, so it's not like I don't have any ability to frame quilt already. It's just that the Innova would be comparable to a BMW while my Voyager is more like a VW bug.
You made a hard decision, but it sounds like the right one. Just having a decision made has to feel good. Now, go quilt.

Dina
Old 05-29-2016, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I have a Voyager 17 on Hinterberg frame, but my dream machine for years has been an Innova. There is currently a used one for sale that is a four-hour drive away from me. Have been emailing the seller, who is moving and unable to take the setup with her. Here are the specs for her setup with the prices she quoted (which I assume were list prices in 2011, not necessarily what she actually paid):

22" head ($18,000) with lightning stitch ($3,995) and 12' aluminum frame ($10,995) purchased in 2011. Power feed advance ($1,750), crosshatch rule ($435), electric channel locks (875), industrial bobbin winder ($275), Towa gauge ($65). Miscellaneous threads and pantos. I have seen photo's of the setup and it looks very clean.

I do not see myself as ever doing quilting as a business; this is just for personal use. I am 70 years old and I see myself as remaining fit enough to stand at a frame for a couple of hours a day for the next 10 years. I realize that a 26" head is needed to add Auto Pilot. I really do not see myself ever wanting Auto Pilot (unless I suddenly become extremely rich, in which case I would replace the entire setup anyway!). Probably my biggest concern is regarding resale value of the 22" head down the road, if I need to sell.

Anyway, I am dithering because this is such a big chunk of money for us at this time in our lives. Aside from other comments, I would appreciate suggestions about fair value for a used setup like this. How much would YOU pay for a setup like this?
First of all, you have the pricing list wrong. Innovas are sold as package deals, especially now, so it would be probably been around $18,000 for the entire package including the lightning stitch, frame, power feed advance, crosshatch ruler, electric channel locks, and bobbin winder. What is the price she is asking for? I wouldn't offer more $13,000 for everything, including the thread, etc.

Here is an ad I found on Longarm University's website for comparison:
Machine: Innova 22, 12 foot table
Price: $10,499
This is a 2011, "low mileage" machine with a 22 inch throat, lightning stitch, micro handles, rear laser, many extras! For more information on this machine, check out the Innova website by Clicking Here Purchaser is responsible for take down, pickup, transportation, re-assembly, and all associated costs.

I own a 2011 Innova 26" (which is 4" longer) with a 12' table, Lightning stitch, bobbin winder, crosshatch ruler, horizontal thread spool holder, Open toe hopping foot and lightbar (no lights). I paid $16,910 and that include 3 days of class, delivery, and setup.

I just looked and the electronic channel lock and power advance prices has not changed, much if at all.

As far as your age and what you want to do, my Innova just for myself and quilting for QOV. I don't plan to add any computerized devices, so it works for me. I am only 5'2" and I am fine with it. When I bought mine new as my retirement present, my DH told me to buy the most machine I could handle. I like some blocks on point and the 26" gave me more throat space, but I almost went with a 22". I think you would enjoy it and I would be the resale would be decent. Also, Innovas are some of the most low maintenance machines available. You basically just oil the little ports in the bobbin case area. They are also easy to add to without buying a new machine. I have added the new micro handles, the ezlocks, and the hand crank on the top bar without any help, but DH.

I would still suggest that you take a ride to see it and try it out before buying to make sure you will be comfortable with it. It is a big deal.

Last edited by caspharm; 05-29-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:52 PM
yel

i have an innova would not trade it for the world .....just a comment on the one with a 9 ft frame ....you have to take that with a grain of salt because you can't do a king size on a 9 ft frame so not sure you can compare them ...