Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice on requilting a store bought coverlet >

Advice on requilting a store bought coverlet

Advice on requilting a store bought coverlet

Old 07-26-2010, 08:58 AM

We have a lightweight cotton wholecloth queen size bedcover that needs requilting. Embroidered centre with a "border/frame" of embroidered flowers then another "border/frame" of plain fabric. Low loft polyester batting. The "quilting" consisted of very large and uneven stitches, which after a few years have come undone. I have hand quilted the centre and as there is no quilting in the embroidered border I will leave, however in the plain "border" there are three rows of horizontal stitching to hold the batting in place and to look pretty. I want to replace these three rows by machine quilting. My machine is a very basic lightweight 25 yr old Jones - straight stitch and zigzag only. Standard presser foot and Zipper Foot. Is it possible with what I have and what thread should I use?
Old 07-26-2010, 09:01 AM

A "walking foot" works best for stitching the quilt by machine. You can buy a generic walking foot. I used to work in a Sew n' Vac shop & would have those learning to quilt purchase one. You will get a much more even stitch with the walking foot as it feeds from the top & bottom - helping to prevent puckering on your back side.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:24 AM

If you are doing straight lines, or almost straight lines, try a sample using a very narrow zigzag...very narrow...it gives some interest to the stitch line and covers up most of the small wavers that we/I get when I try to do straight line stitching. If you're not obligated to keep the three parallel rows, you can consider diamonds, rectangles, what every looks good with your inner quilting.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

I would invest in a walking foot. It really makes a difference.