Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice On Sit Down Long Arms >

Advice On Sit Down Long Arms

Advice On Sit Down Long Arms

Old 06-12-2017, 09:21 AM

Smile Advice On Sit Down Long Arms

I would appreciate any advice on this subject. There are 2 local dealers that sell Bernina, Pfaff and Janome. The Bernina machines are over my budget. The Janome dealer has the Artistic 16 and the other machine is a Pfaff Power Quilter 16.0. I'm also liking the George, but I think this one is probably over my budget and there is no local dealer.

Thank you in advance for any insight on these machines.

Sandra
Old 06-12-2017, 09:38 AM

I am also looking at a sit down long arm. It's a toss between HQ sweet 16 and the Husqvarna/viking platinum 16 on sale which will be a better deal. Can't help with the machines you are looking at but will be watching this thread to see what others have to say.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

The best advice is for you both to go to your dealers and test drive them!
Ask questions. Lots of them. Then go back and do it again ... and again .... until you are comfortable with your decision.

The Janome Artistic, while labelled Janome is not made by them, if that is an issue for you.
Janome do represent them and offer the servicing, from what I understand.
Two big differences between the Janome and most other sit-downs is that you sit at it, in the same way as you would a DSM. Also, the Artistic has very little table space to your left, and more than ample behind. That is, unless they have changed that since I looked at it.

Without checking, I am more than certain that the Babylock Tiara, Pfaff, Husqvarna and the HQ Sweet 16 are all the same machine. They are all made by by HQ, and just painted/trimmed up differently. The important/working parts are the same.

Keep in mind that with these machines having been on the market for several years now, there have been updates. If you are doing comparisons between the S16 sisters, you may find a difference, and that is simply explained by the different updated models. Just make sure you know which you are seeing ... and which the prices apply to. You may get a super deal, only to find that the updates are not on the one you buy.

To me, two things are vital.
First, what style/model you like ....... and then what dealer is going to not only sell you a machine, but provide the training, service and follow up after the fact.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:01 AM

I'm in the very beginning stages of researching these too. For me, warranty length and details of how any issues are handled is a big concern as I will be moving to another state and can't count on being near a dealership for my particular machine. I'm not anywhere close to making a decision yet; still just gathering info and taking test-drives. I plan on really grilling the salespeople at PIQF in October - that's about when I hope to be ready to make a decision.

I really LOVE the stitch regular on the Bernina Q20. I think it's unique among sit-down LA's. But yes, that is one pricey machine!

Does one of the two you've narrowed it down to "fit" you better? Feel more natural when you're sitting at the machine? All other things being equal - which one is most comfortable to use? Is one more quiet than the other?
Old 06-12-2017, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

Another point .... read back through the numerous threads already here on the QB.

There's lot to be learned from those, that may not get re-said this time round!
Old 06-12-2017, 10:23 AM

i am also on the fence getting a sit down my brother dealer said he is going to start selling qnique quilting machines from the grace company https://www.graceframe.com/en/sewing-machines this would be a good thing fo me i really want a tiara but that dealer is 1and 1/2 hr drive,the Qnique has 2sit down styles Qnique 21 is like the tiara with either side free which i think i like that much better and the other style is Qnique 14+ which is like an over size dsm and not sure i would that style that restriction to the right drives me crazy, i like the free space on either side if you google leah day she uses one in her youtube video, i hope he gets them in his store i want to try them out before i buy, he was talking price matching and i didn't quite understand if he would order the one i wanted or if he was getting some in the store i'm not buying anything if he dosen't have them in his store i want to try before i buy,good luck with your purchased ...price range on these the qnique 14+ is cheaper then the tiara but the tiara is cheaper then the qnique 21 hope this helps (maybe)
Old 06-12-2017, 10:44 AM

The problem is the Bernina/Pfaff and Janome dealers do not have these machines available in their store to try out. I don't want to buy a machine without trying it out. The Pfaff Power Quilter 16.0 is closer to my price range. I haven't been able to find a lot of customer reviews on this machine. I guess the sit down quilting machines are not big sellers.?
Old 06-12-2017, 11:31 AM

I guess you'll have to look for expos and shows? That's where I played with the Bernina Q20 recently. I don't think I've every played on the Janome LA, but I'd like to. My main machine now is a Janome and I like it quite a bit.

That's also part of why I figure I'll make my decision sometime close after PIQF - I think just about every LA maker shows up there so I should be able to talk to someone about and test-drive any machine I'm seriously considering at that point. And maybe even get a deal!
Old 06-12-2017, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GrammieN View Post
The problem is the Bernina/Pfaff and Janome dealers do not have these machines available in their store to try out. I don't want to buy a machine without trying it out. The Pfaff Power Quilter 16.0 is closer to my price range. I haven't been able to find a lot of customer reviews on this machine. I guess the sit down quilting machines are not big sellers.?
If the dealer doesn't stock the machine then IMHO he's not much of a dealer, and I would wonder how good he would be at servicing, training, or supporting the machine. A dealer who understands the product would realize that customers need to try out the machine before purchasing.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
If the dealer doesn't stock the machine then IMHO he's not much of a dealer, and I would wonder how good he would be at servicing, training, or supporting the machine. A dealer who understands the product would realize that customers need to try out the machine before purchasing.
Oh so true ...... as soon as I hear they do not stock a machine, then red flags go up and bells go off!!
Especially a machine that is "different" than most others.

I had a dealer recently tell me how much she knew about the S16, despite not having one in the store.
She was sure to let me know how had been to the company twice for training twice
and was quite familiar and competent.

Competent? and yet no machine to continue growing her skills?

When I was buying my machine, I called HQ a couple of times and their people were amazing at answering my questions. So don't hesitate to pick up the phone if you want/answers.