Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice sought on sewing machine >

Advice sought on sewing machine

Advice sought on sewing machine

Old 11-17-2012, 07:19 PM

20+ years ago I bought my Bernina so I could do applique blanket stitch ( I have a 1230)...I have used the stitch so much, I am always afraid someday it will decide not to do the stitch anymore I use most of the rest of the stitches on the machine also. Most important to me when buying the machine was that I could control the width and length of the stitches, and also the needle down option. I also wanted to have the knee lift which is so wonderful to use when doing applique.
Whichever type of machine you decide to buy, be sure to TRY out the machine for what you want to use it for...try the blanket stitch on the machine if that is what you will be wanting to use it for. The stitch is different from machine, and you want to be sure it is easy to maneuver around corners, curves.

Happy sewing machine shopping...I hope you find just what you are wanting!
Old 11-17-2012, 07:24 PM

Your blanket stitch may be called a blind hem stitch on an older machine. It is on my Elna. I'll have to check the Montgomery Wards. I recently did a quilt with both blanket stitches and satin stitches. I still prefer the looks and the security of the satin stitch. I keep asking my daughter if the blanket stitched flowers have become fuzzy edged yet.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:40 PM

I just had another look at my machine - and I think it does actually have blanket stitch..... to ensure that there is no fraying - surely I should just be using a zigzag on a fine setting.... Is this right?
Old 11-17-2012, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by ennoh View Post
ckcowl: what is the big difference between using blanket stitch and zig zag in applique then?

Just a different look.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:36 AM

If you have sewn on a Bernina for a long time, you will not be happy with any other machine, and I say that for one reason, the tension. I don't know what your budget is, but I sewed on a 930 for years, and became very spoiled. I made all my children's clothes and never adjusted the tension, not even once. I have a Bernina 440, and love it for applique.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by ennoh View Post
ckcowl: what is the big difference between using blanket stitch and zig zag in applique then?
It depends on the look you are going for. I've done both and they both hold up just as well. If you only have zig zag then do that. Check your machine though, the blanket stitch has also been called other things in the past. If your machine does well keep on using it and then just adapt it to what you are making. There is no one way to do things. I figure it's my project so I'll do what I want.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:39 PM

I agree with romanojg about Berninas. You have one of the best sewing machines ever made with the 930. You might be happy with another brand, but I would be amazed if you didn't fall in love with another Bernina. I have a 1031 and a 440, and I love them both. I recently gave the 1031 to my DDIL, so I know it is still in use. It's true, nothing sews like a Bernina. Doesn't mean other brands are not very, very good, but they won't have that Bernina feel you are used to.

Pam