Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advise on Double Wedding Ring  Quilt >

Advise on Double Wedding Ring Quilt

Advise on Double Wedding Ring Quilt

Old 02-27-2011, 07:19 AM

I am down to the last 2 rows of my DWR quilt which was cut with the die from my Accuquilt GO! I now am wondering if I should leave the outside edges with the circles or add contrasting fabric to make it a rectangle shaped quilt. I realize the binding would be easier with the rectangle shape but I don't always go with easy. IF I go with the rectangle shape, how do I cut the outside edges? Is there a pattern or do I just lay it on a fabric and cut one? It will go to a long arm quilter for quilting.
Opinions please and how to both will be appreciated. Thanks much, Sue
Old 02-27-2011, 07:35 AM
Banned

I would have to draw the pattern accurately and add the side sections and cut templates/patterns from the new pattern.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:27 AM
MTS
Banned

You work it just as if you were adding another row to the quilt, but instead of a row of squares, add a rectangles.

Or you can add the squares and cut it down when you're ALL done with the quilt. This way you can play with how much fabric you want showing (maybe you want to put some applique around the whole thing, or have room for some detailed quilting).

But leave yourself the option.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:05 AM
A

Originally Posted by Holice
I would have to draw the pattern accurately and add the side sections and cut templates/patterns from the new pattern.

AGREE!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:08 AM
A

Since you have gone to so much work sewing your quilt of double wedding ring, I would highly recommend looking at how others have finished the edge. Personally, I do love the 'rounded' look to keep the wedding rings appear to just 'fall' off the bed.

Agree with Holice - highly! Wishing you much happiness with your final decision! Photos when finished? And a note as to why you chose the way to go that you did?
Old 02-27-2011, 02:36 PM

I love the rounded look. Remember to use bias binding if you used the rounded look. You need the binding to go around the curves.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:46 PM

To create the rectangle, I would also add then square up later. But, for a wedding ring, I think you would loose some of the "ooomf" if you squared it up. I would square up one short edge for the pillow end, but leave the rest as rings.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by SewinSue
I am down to the last 2 rows of my DWR quilt which was cut with the die from my Accuquilt GO! I now am wondering if I should leave the outside edges with the circles or add contrasting fabric to make it a rectangle shaped quilt. I realize the binding would be easier with the rectangle shape but I don't always go with easy. IF I go with the rectangle shape, how do I cut the outside edges? Is there a pattern or do I just lay it on a fabric and cut one? It will go to a long arm quilter for quilting.
Opinions please and how to both will be appreciated. Thanks much, Sue
Can't really help you on making the quilt rectangular if you decided to go that route.

As far as leaving the edge as it is or making the quilt rectangular, that depends on whether you like the scalloped edges. I say go for it because I think the scalloped edge looks a lot nicer on a DWR quilt and you won't have to spend extra time and fabric trying to make it into a rectangular quilt (but that's just my opinion and you don't have to follow). I've never done a scalloped edge myself so I can't give you much advice on that, but I know you'll want to go with bias binding because bias has a little more give and you'll need that to get your binding over those curves.