Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Afraid of new quilting setup -encouragement & advise needed here >

Afraid of new quilting setup -encouragement & advise needed here

Afraid of new quilting setup -encouragement & advise needed here

Old 01-01-2012, 06:25 AM

Default Afraid of new quilting setup -encouragement & advise needed here

I know this sounds weird. But I bought a small used midarm setup with a Little Gracie II frame 3 months ago and I am scared to death to use it! At first I could not wait to buy one. Then I helped my son set up the frame. And I have barely taken the time to learn all that is involved. I have made a few quilts but I just use my DSM for free motion.
Honestly, the truth is I am scared!
Has anyone else been like this? I feel so guilty for spending the $$ now it is just sitting there. I really need some encouragement or advice.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:29 AM

Oh, just try it! As humans, we tend to procrastinate when we are anxious about things. You will be fine!
Old 01-01-2012, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

Fear of failure can get in the way of our successes. Just know from the beginning there will be a learning curve. It's time to get some practice fabric on your frame and begin the learning process! You can do this. I am green with envy that you have this setup. I encourage you to jump in and get going!!
Old 01-01-2012, 06:55 AM

I envy you with your set up. Now, just jump in with both feet. You won't know how much fun you'll have, or how much practice you'll need, until you try it. You may not even need much practice, I know a gal that although she's new at quilting, is just a natural at doing free motion, but has problems sewing the blocks. Me, I KNOW I would have to practice, practice and practice to be able to do a quarter as well as she does. Now, get going!!!! LOL You'll be fine.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:01 AM

There's no way for you to conquer the fear other than practice. Start with things like quilts for pets, tablerunners, etc. Wait until you have more confidence before you quilt something that is special to you or is a gift for someone special. You can do it!
Old 01-01-2012, 07:02 AM

make a "sandwich" and load and just practice...don't be surprised if you have loopies on the back, seems to happen when going too fast. takes getting used to and I have had my grace set up along time, (original frame) and I still have to remind myself to slow down LOL
Old 01-01-2012, 07:04 AM

Don't try to master everything it can do at once. Start simple and work your wat to more complicated things.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:53 AM

I remember when I got my Avante. When the man was finished setting it all up he said go ahead and try it out. I just looked at him. I was scared to push the button for fear I'd break the machine. I got through that and after he left I loaded up some old fabric and started practicing. It was alot easier when I was by myself.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

Yes been there! Just give it a try. Make a practice sandwhich and play, I think you will find it is great fun!!
Old 01-01-2012, 08:18 AM

You can do this! Figure out some sort of a reward for yourself after your first spin on it. I used to allow myself to buy a new sweater after I got all my book reports graded. Wonderful motivation....old English teacher here.

Dina