Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Aiy yie yie!  Rotary cut finger! >

Aiy yie yie! Rotary cut finger!

Aiy yie yie! Rotary cut finger!

Old 01-19-2015, 09:05 AM

I cut myself with my food processor blade and although it wasn't very deep it was still bleeding days later so I used glue to hold it shut. It didn't sting me, but sometimes it does.

This thread is a reminder that I need to get a glove. I see I can get one very cheap on ebay. It is not Klutz brand, although those are cheaper there too.

Hope it heals fast for you!

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
Yikes! Glue??? I opened the bandage tonight to give it a good clean and put on some Neosporin. It bled all over again but it looks like it's a cut along the side of the finger rather than straight into the finger toward the bone.
Thanks all for your concern. DH says I need to get a glove.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:08 AM

For those of you who have the Klutz glove, how wide is it across the knuckles? I think I need a smaller glove, that looks huge.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:27 AM

This thread reminded me I bought a stabilizer gadget (doo-dad?) at a quilt show I forgot I even have, but the Big-Mat Stabilizer is placed beside your ruler and the ruler will not budge. He didn't put his information on the package, I'm sure I got his card but you know what it's like when you attend a quilt show! Anyhow I think I found a picture of it here:
http://thoughtfulthimble.com/big-mat-store.html

It's that little blue thing in the pictures. Sold individually about the 7th picture down on the right. Your ruler will not budge when it's on the mat, so perhaps you can leave your fingers further away from where you are cutting.

He's got patent pending on it and has been selling his products at quilt shows for years, he says he invented a cutting mat before Ofla and his mats used to have a lifetime guarantee. He says he may change that this year as one woman traded in one she had for 40 years, lol! He said he used to sell at Annie's Attic and named a few other places too that I can't remember, but does not sell in stores. Anyway, the mats were 20% cheaper at the quilt show. He showed me how his eraser really does smooth out the cuts on the mat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIz7CaV6-r8
I wish I had bought a kit... but I digress.
\
I just wanted to show you a picture of the doo-dad aka stabilizer.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
Love mine!!!!! Really, really cuts down on accidents while actually using the rotary cutter. Doesn't help if you don't close the blade. So I got the one you have to squeeze to use. It closes automatically when you lay it down.
I also vote for SlideLoc and use one when I'm using the Shape Cutter. Keeps the slots from moving. And I also use a rotary cutter that you squeeze the handle for cutting and it retracts when you lay it down.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:03 AM

CAS49OR Thank you for the thoughtfulthimble site I am getting the stabilizer. I have trouble with the smaller rulers.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

Ouch...Those do hurt...
Old 01-21-2015, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
Yikes! Glue??? I opened the bandage tonight to give it a good clean and put on some Neosporin. It bled all over again but it looks like it's a cut along the side of the finger rather than straight into the finger toward the bone.
Thanks all for your concern. DH says I need to get a glove.
The same thing happened to me - same way - several years. Had to finally go to the doctor because everytime I took the bandage of it bled - couldn't be sutured since I took a chunk out. Taught me to use a glove and not cut when I am in a hurry. Hope you heal quickly.