Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
All cotton plaid shirt/fabric? >

All cotton plaid shirt/fabric?

All cotton plaid shirt/fabric?

Old 06-28-2016, 06:35 AM

I read, somewhere, a couple of years ago, that Vermont Flannel Company sold their 'Scraps' by the pound. Im not sure if you have to go to the warehouse or if they will ship to you. It might be worth a phone call or e-mail. I believe they only use 100 % cotton.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the ideas. The thrift stores around me don't seem to have cotton shirts. I do good there for used denim. Yard sales are just too time consuming for me to find something specific. If anyone has any they want to clear out or find, let me know. Planning on doing a drunkard's path. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:42 PM

I am positive your Goodwill has at least "some" all cotton shirts, unless it is very tiny--but their shirts are are kind of pricey.

Just keep looking. Consider it a "hunt". I wonder where you live. Every thrift store I've been in has at least a few all cotton shirts. And I've been in quite a few thrift stores in my day.

But if you aren't careful you can spend a lot of money and you might as well just order from fabric.com or take a look at hancocks-paducah.com. You can spread the word among your friends and/or your husband's friends (or other couples if you have no husband) that you are looking for cotton shirts. You may get given a bag or two of shirts - don't be surprised if about 75% of them aren't all cotton - just pick out the ones you can use and pass on the rest. It takes a bit of time to collect shirts like this.

Or try Craig's list as well and freecycle.

Here's an auction http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-8-Men...4AAOSwc1FXX3aX

Last edited by justflyingin; 06-28-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:23 AM

I asked the lady in goodwill what the colored tag meant. She said it tells what week it came in. If a shirt doesn't sell in three weeks, it gets moved to another store. Here I was jumping from 1 store to the next, not knowing that if you shop the same good will every week, new products come to you from the other stores.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:09 AM

Remember to do a burn test is you aren't sure of the fiber content.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:40 AM

I would "put out the word" to family, friends, church members that you are collecting plaid men's shirts to make a quilt. Many folks may need to clean out the closet and would love knowing that they helped you out.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by lswan View Post
Thanks for the ideas. The thrift stores around me don't seem to have cotton shirts. I do good there for used denim. Yard sales are just too time consuming for me to find something specific. If anyone has any they want to clear out or find, let me know. Planning on doing a drunkard's path. Thanks.
Do remember most thrift shops can only sell what has been donated. They may go months and not get anything "good" than suddenly swamped with the "great" donation!!
Old 06-29-2016, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
I am positive your Goodwill has at least "some" all cotton shirts, unless it is very tiny--but their shirts are are kind of pricey.

Just keep looking. Consider it a "hunt". I wonder where you live. Every thrift store I've been in has at least a few all cotton shirts. And I've been in quite a few thrift stores in my day.

But if you aren't careful you can spend a lot of money and you might as well just order from fabric.com or take a look at hancocks-paducah.com. You can spread the word among your friends and/or your husband's friends (or other couples if you have no husband) that you are looking for cotton shirts. You may get given a bag or two of shirts - don't be surprised if about 75% of them aren't all cotton - just pick out the ones you can use and pass on the rest. It takes a bit of time to collect shirts like this.

Or try Craig's list as well and freecycle.

Here's an auction http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-8-Men...4AAOSwc1FXX3aX
If you are considering this route - go for the extra large shirts, more fabric.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:21 AM

I have made several quilts using plaid shirts from our local thrift stores. I purchased only 100% cotton shirts in the largest size I could find and my limit per shirt was 99 cents. This thrift store marks merchandise down each week so if I saw one I really liked I would wait a week for the mark-down day but still spent no more than $1.99. It's amazing how much usable fabric can be found in an XL shirt. I don't think I spent more than $20 in total and with that was able to make 1 king, 1 queen and 2 60" X 72" ones before passing on a big bag of 5"squares to a friend. Thinking of doing another. Have fun making yours.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:35 AM

Iswan, If you tell us where you live, local quilters in your area might be able to help with specific sources for cotton plaid shirts.

I have found that yard sales are not worth my trouble as the individuals selling want to get a good price for the shirts they purchased and are now selling. . . Church rummage sales are a very good source, however, as the for-sale items have been donated, and any money raised is totally profit.

I live in Dallas, and find lots of cotton plaid shirts at the Thrift Giant. I buy them during 50% off days and pay $2 - $3.50 each. Yes, I read about quilters who purchase shirts in their localities for a lot less and I swoon. . .