Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Allergic to cats >

Allergic to cats

Allergic to cats

Old 08-06-2015, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Great suggestion. No allergies here but I had not heard of hypoallergenic dryer sheet.
Yes....Due to some sensitivities to soaps, I use hypoallergenic soap, laundry detergent, fabric softener, and unscented products. I have no cats indoors for several reasons, and big reason is DD's allergy!
Old 08-06-2015, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

My son and DIL are both becoming more and more allergic to cats, so presumably that is why they seldom come over and bring Zoe our 5 year old DGD over. When I made a new quilt to go into Zoe's bedroom with her new full size bed, I was under the gun as far as washing and drying her quilt (try putting the binding on a full size quilt Christmas Eve when we were due there for dinner); so my son suggested that we just bring the quilt when the binding was finished. We were able to sneak the quilt in the house in a huge black trash bag, which my son promptly put into the washer, so when the quilt was dry we presented her with her new quilt. If there was a problem with a pet allergy with the quilt I am not aware, so I think washing and drying it at their house did the trick, with no further treatment.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:38 PM

Very interesting thread. My son is very allergic to cats and has problems with some dogs(one of ours but not the other). He's an adult now but had shots for 4 yrs as a kid. Since we have dogs, I make sure all fabric, etc goes straight to my sewing room or the longarm room--both off limits to the dogs. Once I'm finished longarming a quilt, it
gets bagged and put in my car for delivery--and the dogs never ride in my car. But I realize there is probably some hair transfer (although dogs not allowed on furniture or in bedrooms).
Old 08-07-2015, 03:08 AM
Power Poster

DH and I both have allergies to perfumes and cats. I buy ALL dye free and perfumed free laundry detergent. It isn't "hypo,", it's "free". Hypo is low allergens, free is no allergens. I also use Seventh Generation dryer sheets, again 'free'. You can tear the sheets according to size of load. I can use a full sheet on 3-4 large loads but prefer to tear them down. My friends and relatives wear lots of perfume, therefore, I tend not to go to functions with a large and tight crowd. Got tired of coming home with itchy watery eyes and nasty headaches. They think I'm anti-social but I just can't stand the perfume.