Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
almost ruin.. >

almost ruin..

almost ruin..

Old 01-31-2011, 04:06 PM

Thank goodness I saw someone post here that they always sew the backing and topping all around before putting the quilt together..I first binded by machine and then turned it over and hand did it. When I washed it there were spots that if I had not done that would have ruined my quilt...because I sewed the backing around it prevented it from fraying. So I only had to rebind some spots but it was not ruined. I would have cried instead I just had to resew a few spots. I posted this so it hopefully save someone else's quilt. I also think I am done with hand sewing....I do not have the same problem with machine binding, but I also sew around both the topping and backing prior to putting them together to prevent fraying. Thank-you...who ever it was that gave me that hint...
Old 01-31-2011, 06:49 PM

Thanks so much for the reminder. I wrote it down this time. Sometimes when I am so tired (insomnia) I forget the basics. Today I forgot to cut the extra 1/2" for the 18" block I wanted to make. So now I am happy with my 17 1/2" center block. Happy quilting. :)
Old 01-31-2011, 08:20 PM

I always baste all around because i like to make sure it stays together while I am quilting. Even though I spray baste. I know the quilt police won't like that... But I am a rebel. :). Makes it easier to trim, too.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:46 PM

Thank you for posting this, tomorrow I am putting a binding on and I wondered if I should sew around the quilt to keep it together, now I will!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:50 PM

I have a serger, and bless its little heart, all she ever does is put an even covered edge on all my quilts before I bind them. gives me a perfect 1/4 inch guide for attaching my binding also.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by nycbgirl
Thank you for posting this, tomorrow I am putting a binding on and I wondered if I should sew around the quilt to keep it together, now I will!
Remember you will be basting. So you can lengthen your stitch (makes it faster) and make sure you are about an 1/8 inch from edge so it will be easier to cover with binding. I also like to match my top thread with the fabric on top and my bobbin with the fabric on bottom. That way if I miss covering some stitches they blend.