Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Alphabet letters >

Alphabet letters

Alphabet letters

Old 07-23-2014, 05:21 PM

Default Alphabet letters

I have seen a lot of people putting the child's name on a baby quilt. I want to do this but haven't had any success finding stencils or something to do it with. I have tremors so I can't do it free hand. I spent some time at JAF looking at books and also in my dozens of mags I have. Anyone out there can help me?
Old 07-23-2014, 05:29 PM

Hi, what exactly are you looking for? And how big? Printed or cursive? Applique or embroidered?

Lots of different ways you can do this. Let us know and someone may be able to talk you through it. When I do mine, I just draw them out on freezer paper in the size I need, iron the freezer paper to fabric, cut the applique out and back it with iron on fusible. Then I satin stitch it to the quilt.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:33 PM
Power Poster

MrsDerf ... here's one possibility. If you want larger letters, you could make these larger via your printer or a photocopier.
http://www.quilterscache.com/A/AlphabetPatterns.html

Another possibility is to look in the $ $tores.
Recently I got some large plastic stencil letters that I scooped while I could for piecing and/or quilting possibilities.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:34 PM

There are free printable letters here

http://www.homemade-gifts-made-easy....-patterns.html
Old 07-23-2014, 07:02 PM

I use my computer fonts. Lots of variety here. Our printer is also a copy machine, so if I want bigger letters I enlarge them. Made a Banner a couple of years ago and took my printout to a Kinko's type store and had them enlarge the letters to 4". Worked fine. Also check stores that have art and school supplies. They usually have different kinds and sizes of letter stencils (that's what teachers use to get those letters posted in classrooms). Children's books and coloring books often have larger size letters.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:20 PM

You might check out dollar stores or walmart in the children's art supplies. Look at lettering in my avatar.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:08 PM

WOW never thought to look in some of these places . I was thinking 3" letters apologies and hand turned. I will enlarge to the right size. So off to craft departments tomorrow and see what I can find. Thank you one and all for all the suggestions. What a great group.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:20 AM

I use MS word. Type out the name in the font I want then keep increasing the font size until I get the letter height I want. Usually about 4 inches. I then mirror the name and trace directly from the screen onto fusible. Then appliqué as desired. Simple!
Old 07-24-2014, 05:51 AM

I got this off the QB site so time back and hung onto it for future reference -- http://www.mccallsquilting.com/conte..._Templates.pdf (hope I typed it right) -- good luck finding exactly what you want!!
Old 07-24-2014, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

There are stencils I think I saw them at Walmart of the alphabet. You might want to go in the stationer store or someplace that sells drafting supplies to find a large selections of stencils in a variety of sizes.