Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Altered curtains becomes quilt order - opions please >

Altered curtains becomes quilt order - opions please

Altered curtains becomes quilt order - opions please

Old 04-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Banned

I altered the curtains for my husband's co-worker. She was so impressed she has asked me to make her a baby quilt. One for her daughter to pass down to her daughter.
The daughter is 22 years old, mom says it's never to late for a baby quilt. So I'm working on designing a quilt to make for her.
(It will have one baby picture as well as date of birth info.

My question is she wants pastels, pinks, yellows, purples, which is not a problem. But would you try to use fabrics that represent the time she was born 22 years ago? or just use today's fabric designs as she will be passing it down anyway?

BTW - the 22 yr old is still in college and not even close to having a baby yet.

Thanks for any ideas.

Phyllis
Old 04-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Power Poster

Hi Phyllis,
It would be nice but may be a chore to find them.
Also- the daughter MAY pass it down.

I saved all my Nancy Drew books for my girls that I never had.
(3 boys hee hee)
Old 04-02-2011, 05:51 PM

If you do choose to go back in time, then it would be fairly easy to find calicos in those colors. Many of them just don't change. These colors are not my favorites, and I lean more toward "jewel toned" colors. Royal Blue, Emerald Green Ruby Red and gold (not yellow). Why don't you sleep on it for a night or two. Sometimes, my best ideas come to me right before I drift off. At least she's not asking you to use novelty prints like Dora the Explorer or Sponge Bob. If you find a pattern that excites you as the creator, then chose the fabrics that you see fit. Lots of luck! I'm sure that whatever you come up with will be just fine!
Old 04-02-2011, 06:07 PM

Honestly I would pick colors from today instead of from 22 years ago. unless the mom specifically said that she wanted them to look like that.
This girl is 22. Chances are she is going to like the baby quilt but not really use it. She is going to save it to give to her baby. I just turned 25. If someone was making me a baby quilt I would want it from the cute new fabrics that they have now. Not what the style was 22 years ago. Since she isn't sentimentally attached to it now. If it isn't something that she likes the less chance of her saving it for her future baby. Especially since she has no real connection to you. Maybe the daughter could pick out some fabrics that she likes. Since it will be for her future child more than it is for her. And maybe neutral pastels that way it could be for a little boy or girl.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

I love the pink. purple and yellow, don't think dark colors are for baby girls. I have thought of making my oldest DG a baby quilt to replace the one her Mom took off with, but, haven't done it yet. She isn't married and not planning on having kids. I tried and couldn't find the print I had originally used.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:49 PM

It would not be too hard to find colors or fabrics from 22 years ago , I know I still have more than I would like to admit to in my stash. In fact there are still a few in print, I 've seen a few the last time I was at Jo'anns.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:55 PM

I would use some beautiful batiks in those colors. That way it will be timeless. She will enjoy it now and it will still be ok in the years to come. I think I would make it a large baby quilt also, so she can use it now as a lap quilt. What if she never has a baby?
Old 04-02-2011, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Quilted Horse
I would use some beautiful batiks in those colors. That way it will be timeless. She will enjoy it now and it will still be ok in the years to come. I think I would make it a large baby quilt also, so she can use it now as a lap quilt. What if she never has a baby?
Wow! Batiks sounds like a great choice. You gave better suggestions than I did! ;)
Old 04-02-2011, 07:55 PM

I like the idea of using batiks too! Those colors will make a gorgeous quilt.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:38 AM

Personally, I would use the colors the mother requested in adorable baby fabrics as there are so many out there to choose from. The mother is specifically requesting a baby quilt so that's what I'd make. I also wouldn't worry about trying to find fabrics that were in vogue 22 years ago because you can find so many older looking fabrics today. If the daughter loves it as I'm sure she will she might even decide to have you make her one in her own colors. Whatever you decide I'm sure it will be lovely.