Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Alternatives to Quilt University? >

Alternatives to Quilt University?

Alternatives to Quilt University?

Old 10-29-2013, 12:12 PM

Default Alternatives to Quilt University?

I've just found out, rather late in the day, that Quilt University is closing down. I'm so disappointed: being short of money and finding workshops difficult because I'm a slow learner, it was invaluable. Are there any other organisations providing similar online classes?
Old 10-29-2013, 01:02 PM

Have you looked at Craftsy? They do online classes and very often you can get them on special offer.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:08 PM

Other than Craftsy, a lot of the teachers from QU have gone over to Academy of Quilting, I think some of the classes might even be the same. The AoQ was started by Ruth Blanchett (formerly of QU) when QU closed.

I haven't used the Academy of Quilting so I can't comment on it's quality. I have used QU and Craftsy and both were good.

http://academyofquilting.com/classes/
Old 10-29-2013, 01:59 PM

That is too bad -- guess maybe I shouldn't wait much longer to start using my Craftsy classes -- that is my goal this winter. I would be really upset if that happened to that website!!
Old 10-30-2013, 12:05 AM

Thankyou. I'll look at Craftsy and the Academy. I hope they're as wide-ranging as QU. I much prefer online learning. I tend to take a while to grasp new techniques, and that can turn a workshop into an ordeal as everyone else races ahead of me. And there are always the people who bascially can do it already and leave the teacher pulled between them and the beginners.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:05 AM

Craftsy is phenomenal. I've enjoyed every quilting class I've taken there and learned a ton.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:28 AM

Oh no!!! Why did I have to click on the link for Academy of Quilting. Now there's something else I want to do!!! Their mystery quilt class sounds extremely reasonable and lots of fun. Can anyone tell me if the lessons are similar to youtube videos? (live in the boonies and have limited monthly download capabilities)
Old 10-31-2013, 04:25 AM

I clicked on the Academy of Quilting link and somehow signed up for the Stained Glass quilt class. I've never done anything like this before so should be very interesting.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

Most of the Academy classes are taught by the same person. I prefer to have an instructor that specializes in one technique. The same instructor will teach her way of doing something in every class.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:22 AM

I've done only a few Craftsy classes. If you sign up for Craftsy, don't take your first class for awhile. You will get emails offering you much larger discounts than they normally offer for your first class. I took one class that way and was less than impressed but then I thought I was buying a more advanced free motion quilting class, there were no follow along lessons as it was just a lecture... but that's just me. Other people have taken the same class and loved it.

There are a few other places now offering classes and it is driving me nuts that I'm not thinking of it right now. They're like $5 each but they aren't as long as the Craftsy ones I'm sure but if you are looking for something specific it would be great. http://www.dailycrafttv.com/