Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I being "set up?" >

Am I being "set up?"

Am I being "set up?"

Old 12-23-2010, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

In our family things get passed along all the time. I am always giving things away I cant use, and definatly dont want anything in return. Maybe she just wants to be your friend, or you are the only quilter she knows. A girl I know gives me nice kids clothes to cut up for quilts, lol....I always give them to a girl at work for her DD, too nice to chop up...I wouldnt want anything in return, just amkes me feel good to save her some money!
Old 12-23-2010, 06:05 AM

I have run into the same problem. I used to sew professionally and I still have friends who ask me to make a dress, hem some slacks, make curtains, or even make a quilt. My standard reply is, "I'm too busy but I would be happy to teach them to quilt, sew, hem, etc." I also spin and knit...I still have the standard reply to questions such as, Can yo knit me a pair of socks? I reply, "I have too many projects planned for the future but I'd be happy to teach you how to spin or knit!" I have yet to have one single person take me up on the offer but they don't ask any more.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:09 AM

I have found most people do not just "give" without wanting something in return. Especially when you are a quilter. I hope she is being kind, but, I think there may be a hidden request in there somewhere. Just be prepared.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:13 AM

First of all I never take things I really don't want. My poor mother in law took items that family members passed through and wanted to offload on anyone that would take it. When she died we took many truck loads to the Goodwill and many more to the dump. I have enough stuff of my own, I don't need someone else's unwanteds. I would keep one eye on her thinking she is going to want something in return too, but maybe not. I would start by only taking her offerings if I really want them and you can face the problem of making her a quilt later. And if she was the type to say after all I gave you... I definitely wouldn't make her nothing cause my heart wouldn't be in it. There are a lot of ways to look at it. Some people are just good hearted. But when you can't walk through your house because of these "gifts" that's another issue too. :)
Old 12-23-2010, 06:19 AM

I have friends who sew but don't quilt. They give me their scraps. They don't want anything in return just don't want the fabric to go to waste.
I'm in charge of a charity quilting group at our guild so it gets used, eventually.
I have found that most people who want a quilt will ask.
There are those who have a "hidden" agenda but not many.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
She could just be a nice person, but she could be getting around to popping the question. If you don't mind making one, then make it. If you don't want to I would be prepared with the list of things I have on my plate, so I just cannot possibly find the time. I would probably put all of the stuff together that she gave me, so that if she says "after all I gave to you..." I could tell her she can have it back if she wants it. JMO
I was thinking the same thing!!
Old 12-23-2010, 06:27 AM
Banned

good answers here. However, best to stop receiving it.
I got myself in a similar situation some years ago and I have bad thoughts of it still. Suggest you tell her the fabric is not your style and don't have time to use it up and give her the name of someone else or group that could use it. My advice is to get yourself out of this loop.
Perhaps give it all away now and tell her you passed it on to someone who can use it.
I would not keep it in my house.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:16 AM

Sounds like one of my "friends" ... she also seems to be a hoarder, yet is
giving to others. Yet fabrics brought to me are for freebie sewing/quilting
and often useless, with cat/dog odors that laundering does not remove.
Rather than being nauseous with this stuff around, I am opting to a big NO
in future.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

Loopywren, i too give things and do things for people and never ask for anything in return. if that makes people wonder,that's their problem. sad but true.
i met a lady from NY and we became friends, she finally told me she used to discuss me with her dtr and wondered why i was being so friendly-what did i want from her? nothing, i'm just a Texan. Friendly!
i hope the hoarder lady is trying hard to share and clean out. even a bit will help her if she is a hoarder. good for her!!!
Old 12-23-2010, 07:29 AM

Sounds like you are being realistic. Trust your instincts and that little voice. You might want to tell her you greatly appreciate what she has already given you, but you don't need anything more and perhaps help her find a different more needy outlet for her generosity.