Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I crazy to cut all my fabrics into scraps? >

Am I crazy to cut all my fabrics into scraps?

Am I crazy to cut all my fabrics into scraps?

Old 04-02-2010, 04:35 AM

I love love love scraps. My quilt store has a bucket of scraps that I like to go diving in every so often. I wish there were more online stores that sold just scraps because whenever I get a piece of fabric that is big as a 1/8th, I have a hard time considering that a scrap. I love it when I get a pile of scraps from someone and I look through them and see all the fun fabrics I never would have thought to buy! I just recently sorted my scraps by color and they look so purty!! (I am sorely lacking in greens and purples though!)

Anyway, so my question is this …. I have all these pieces of fabric that are like 1/8 strips to fat quarters and I keep them separate from my scraps. There aren’t enough of those that really match to make a quilt out of, but I have a hard time considering them scraps. So what would you do if you were me? I am considering just chopping them up into smaller pieces and using them as scraps because if I keep them whole I know I won’t use them. But I feel like if I do this then I will want bigger pieces to use one day. Argh!!!! I am having such a hard time with this!

Cheers!
Rachel
Old 04-02-2010, 04:41 AM

I'm just like you! I'd much rather play with a bag of scraps than coordinating yardage. If you're not going to use the bigger pieces, chop them up so you will use them.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:48 AM

Keep them as they are.
You can still use them in scrap quilts but you might want some bigger bits one day. New pattern ideas are coming out all the time. :D
Old 04-02-2010, 04:56 AM

I have bought scrap bags from here http://www.equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc...13110514712.2b and been very happy with what I got.I bought the 3 pounds of scraps but not the 5 pounds of strips which sounds like more what you may like. Some times they run these scrap packs on sale.I can't remember for sure but it seems like it might have been 40% off.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by bizybess
I have bought scrap bags from here http://www.equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc...13110514712.2b and been very happy with what I got.I bought the 3 pounds of scraps but not the 5 pounds of strips which sounds like more what you may like. Some times they run these scrap packs on sale.I can't remember for sure but it seems like it might have been 40% off.
Wow! This is exactly what I have been looking for!!! You said you got the 3 pound bag, how big were the pieces in there? Were the fabrics nice ones? I think you may be right I may go for the more truly scrappy bag!! :) Oh I am so excited now!

Cheers!
Rachel
Old 04-02-2010, 05:57 AM

I love making scrap quilts, sometimes I cut scrap fabrics into 2" strips, great for log cabin and string quilts. I save chunky pieces for the corners on the string blocks. I hate to cut everything up as I never know what size squares or strips I'll want for my next scrap quilt. I tie my scraps up by color and store them in 2 large containers. Containers are overflowing so I better start on another scrap quilt.

Recently a guild member brought in a huge bag of scraps and I had a ball going through them. May in Jersey
Old 04-02-2010, 06:12 AM

I am going to yard sale tomorrow, so I am hoping I will have some good finds, though fabric is not usually a popular yard sale item around here. I was able to get some fun scraps from a girl that made purses once, and I also found a full bolt of black cotton once for $10!! So you never know …. I know I shouldn’t cut into the bigger pieces since I may want bigger pieces someday, but they aren’t stacked with my scraps right now because I don’t consider them scraps…. Maybe I just need to leave them whole, but put them in my scraps bins so they are there when I want to use them …..

Rachel
Old 04-02-2010, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

Often places sell fabric samples. Here is craigslist link I just found... 1000 lbs for $5!! However I think that may mean $5 per pound. I can't imagine them selling all those samples for only $5
http://albany.craigslist.org/art/1663028376.html
Old 04-02-2010, 07:40 AM

I would leave them in the larger pieces, but if you won't use them that way, cut them!
Old 04-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

anything smaller than a fq i cut up into what i consider usable pieces...is: 2" squares, charms, strips, i have a tote with stacks of 2" strips, 2 1/2" squares, 3" squares, 4 1/2" ,5", 6" and 9" (9's are the biggest i consider)...it is nice to when i need a particular size being able to open the tote and pick up a big stack of just the right size (scraps). so, i don't think your crazy...or maybe we all are a little bit :)