Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I good enough? >

Am I good enough?

Am I good enough?

Old 06-20-2014, 06:47 AM

Let her know the price first. Most people have no idea the cost and time to make a quilt. They just know they can get one at Walmart for 25.00 to 80.00 . I had a lady that wanted one I had made. I had about 230.00 in it and I would let her have it for 300.00 because she was my daughters friend. Never heard from her again. lol
Old 06-20-2014, 08:42 AM

This is my philosophy too. I am happy to take custom orders. It gives me the opportunity to work with colors and patterns I might not normally use and learn new techniques - without me having to pay for the materials. Plus - I benefit by being able to use leftover fabric in scrappy quilts that I can give away, donate, or even sell at bazaars to fund my quilting addiction! I guess it depends on WHY you are considering taking the commission. Do you want to become a professional quilter? Or do you want to just be reimbursed for the cost of the materials for something you would normally do anyway?
Old 06-20-2014, 08:44 AM

I would say that if she wants you to make them, she is already impressed with your ability. Relax and get sewing. She will love them. It isn't as though you are about to open a shop.
Good point! My standards are probably higher on my work than someone else looking at it. And I figure I will charge her what I want for my time ..... I am sure it will be too cheap. I will just let her know what bargain she is getting. Then I will chalk the experience up as getting practice and a little pocket money... its not like I am in a position to start a business anyway
Old 06-20-2014, 09:30 AM

I don't wonder if I'm good enough because the only person I need to please is me! If you're not certain that your current skill level justifies taking on a commission quilt, show her samples of your completed quilts so she can be the judge.

Beyond that, once she understands the true cost of making a quilt, she may back out of her request and you need not worry further. If she is undeterred by the cost factor, then you have to consider the imposition of her projects on your time and the fact that your projects will fall by the wayside as you become tied up with hers.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
I think I would ask her how much she is willing to pay me for making the quilts. Maybe she doesn't know how much work, money and time you will have to put in to make them for her.
I agree. I've had people want me to make them things until they find out how much I want to do it. A woman I met who was a professional seamstress and did beautiful work told me she once had a woman bring her some fabric and a pattern and want a dress made. When she told her how much it would cost, the woman said "I can buy one at Foley's for less than that." The seamstress said she just handed her the fabric and pattern and said "If you are happy with a Foley's dress, then I suggest you buy one" and showed her the door. Most people have no idea of the difference between the quality of items. Or any respect for the time others put into their quilts.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:42 AM

Do not say you are not perfect. Your opinion of yourself is not part of the negotiation. If you say you are not perfect then I might think I would get inferior work and reduced price. You are not " not perfect". You have the ability and are showing you do good work. What is perfect anyway. Don't undersell yourself my declaring you are "not perfect".
Old 06-20-2014, 02:58 PM

If she responds after you fb message, take her fabric shopping with a pattern in mind. Do the math while in the store. Will give her an idea of the fabric costs. I take my clients shopping all the time. They pay for the fabric before I start. Any boo boos come out of my price. Decide what it is worth to you. Keep the pattern choices simple, if they are for children, nothing fancy. If you aren't comfortable with the pattern, say so. Keep it within your skill level and both of you can enjoy the experience. Have fun.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:23 PM

On a different angle.....if she balks at your price, you might suggest that you help her make the quilts. I would think she would get a lot of satisfaction from making the quilts for them herself. But then again, that is how I would feel. She might have no interest in learning and, of course, it would take up your time. Could create another quilter! Am I going to get stoned for suggesting this? LOL
Old 06-20-2014, 03:32 PM

If you are going to do a quilt on commission, then it's a job. And like any job,you need a contract that both you and the other party sign. Do research, give her an estimate of costs of materials and then give her an estimate on how much you charge for labor. Do NOT skimp on the labor costs. This is a job and you need to be compensated for your time and expertise. If you go into this job with the idea that you are not good enough, then you will not be compensated fairly for your labor. I think sometimes we think that because we can go and make a beautiful handcrafted when ever we want to, sometimes we think that it's not really that important. First of all, not everyone can take some fabric, thread,batting and binding and turn it into something not only beautiful, but useful as well. When my Dad was alive, he did all the repair work on all our vehicles. Our vehicles never saw the inside of a mechanics shop until he had a stroke and could no longer do the work. Well, I found out real fast how much the work that my Dad did on all the family's vehicles truly cost in the real world. The same is true of your ability to make quilts. Do not undersell yourself or your ability.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:11 PM

I have to agree with the other comments I've read. People who don't quilt really don't understand what it costs in materials alone, not to mention the time you will invest. That's why I finally opened an Etsy shop and put a very few quilts and patterns in it. What I sell there helps cover some of the expenses of my charity quilts, and if someone really wants my quilts they can pay what I'm charging in an impersonal venue, and it they don't want to I never know the difference! I am full time care taker of my husband with Alzheimer's, and we're on a limited income.. I can't afford to make quilts at a loss for everyone who thinks I can do it for what they'd pay for a quilt at Walmart! You have to be realistic for your own sake! Quilters have generous hearts... but they must have sensible heads to go with them!