Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the Last to Figure This Out?

While I was meandering (FMQ) on a lap quilt today, it occurred to me that it would be a lot easier if I meandered the opposite way we usually sew: that is, instead of directing the fabric from me through to the back of the machine, instead I tried meandering by moving the fabric from the back of the machine towards me. This way I could clearly see what I had already quilted so I didn't have to worry about crossing lines, etc. After I tried this, it was so easy that I got the feeling that I have to be the last quilter on earth to figure this out.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by renee765
    While I was meandering (FMQ) on a lap quilt today, it occurred to me that it would be a lot easier if I meandered the opposite way we usually sew: that is, instead of directing the fabric from me through to the back of the machine, instead I tried meandering by moving the fabric from the back of the machine towards me. This way I could clearly see what I had already quilted so I didn't have to worry about crossing lines, etc. After I tried this, it was so easy that I got the feeling that I have to be the last quilter on earth to figure this out.
    That is an awesome idea! Sure makes sense now that you've told us about it.

Would never have occurred to me on my own to do that.

New York State, but I will always be Canadian!
    Nope. That would make ME the last to figure it out. Great tip...never thought of that!

Well, I don't know if you're the last to figure it out or not ... I didn't even think about it until you posted it here! I've been putting off learning FMQ anyway, now I'm not so intimidated by it. Thank you! :thumbup:

Actually you may just be setting a new trend. I'm going to try this as soon as I can, but I can tell just by visualizing that it's going to be the smart way to go. I'm not sure whether to say Eureka! or Duh! LOL. Thanks for the tip! So who gets to wear the Girl Genius hat now! Go Renee....

I think you found the "missing link" :thumbup: :thumbup: I'm going to give it a try. Thanks :!: :!: :!:

I never thought of doing that but it makes sense.

Blog Entries
    I am sitting her visualizing that and yep, it just might make it easier. Thanks for the tip.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilliebee
    Actually you may just be setting a new trend. I'm going to try this as soon as I can, but I can tell just by visualizing that it's going to be the smart way to go. I'm not sure whether to say Eureka! or Duh! LOL. Thanks for the tip! So who gets to wear the Girl Genius hat now! Go Renee....
    ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    very good tip

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast