Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one who doesn't  want a long arm? What..... >

Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

Old 03-02-2012, 02:48 AM
Administrator

i definitely want one. i will have one someday.

have to pay off the house first, though, because buying the one i want would be like taking out another mortgage. LOL

i have to say, though, that i truly admire quilters who can use a regular machine to achieve all the wonderous freemotion a longarmer can do. they are Quilting Heroes in my book!

in my wildest dreams i hope for skills like that someday. before i pay off the house, of course, so i can skip the longarm rig and spend those thousands on fabric. LOL LOL LOL
Old 03-02-2012, 04:48 AM

I have one have had it for 8 yrs an love it
Old 03-02-2012, 04:49 AM

Cost 15k an spent another 3k for extra att.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:19 AM

I bought a used mid-arm (HQ16). I used money I inherited from my grandmother. My DILs and my sister use it, too. My husband enjoys helping me set up quilts on it. Different people have different luxuries. This is one of mine that I share with my family.

I always explain to people that comment on the number of sewing machines I have in this manner. My husband understands that he could build furniture with a hand saw and a piece of sandpaper but he wouldn't enjoy it much. He sees the value in having the right tool for the job and for me my quilting machine is the right tool.

I say that and I am probably going to quilt the baby quilt I just did on my domestic machine today. It is for a boy and all of my patterns have flowers on them or are too large forthe quilt. Straight lines are easier on teh domestic machine but tedious.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:17 AM

I really am not interested in buying a long arm as my new sewing machine has a foot for quilting and it works good for me. I just don't have money for one or room to set one up.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:30 AM

They are so HUGE! I'd have to have my attic finished off to fit one in, and that's not a financial option. As someone said, I've also spent less on cars. Last summer I won a class with local super MQer, who made and quilted Best in Show for VT quilt fest. She's a great teacher, but after more than 3 exhausting hours standing up, learning how to attach quilt, and do the basics, I decided it's not something I want to do. I could rent time in her studio to do a quilt I'm working on, but it gets pretty costly, too. Guess I'll stick to my own machine for now.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:07 AM

I have my trusty sears sewing machine. No gismo's, whistles. Just a tabletop model. I tie all my quilts and I am perfectly content. I would never spend that kind of money
Old 03-02-2012, 09:18 AM

I don't want a longarm, but I wouldn't mind having a frame that I could use my regular machine with.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:13 AM

I bought one about 10 months ago with a 10 foot frame and stitch regulator. I did not want the computer. Have learned alot in that 10 months and can now do pretty good free motion as well as pantographs. I've done 16 quilts and saved about $1500 by not sending to someone else to do. (Some were small that I could have done on my Bernina.) I figure that it will pay itself off in about 4to5 years time.

But I was lucky that I had plenty of room for it in our bonus room.
It is sooo much fun!