Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: am not going to make anymore for family

I know what you mean. Made a quilt for a relative. First thing she said was "I don't like the color green". I quilt to relax so I try to put all negativity aside. I plan to only give quilts or hand-made gifts to people I know who would appreciate them.

I am sorry your feelings were hurt. In my opinion, purses are kind of 'personal'. I prefer to carry a fabric or straw bag in the summer but in the winter I want a leather one. I kid you not....I needed to replace my winter purse a few years back...it took me a couple years to find the one I ended up buying.

I am very careful when I make things for people. I do not want to put all the time and effort (and the cost) into something that is not going to be 'liked'.

Even if I didn't like it, I wouldn't say anything. However, I hate making things for people other than Christmas items, because people's tastes are different and I wouldn't want to venture a guess as to what they would like and not like as a purse.

I guess these are just life's lessons but it is also pretty cold-hearted to outright tell you they didn't like them. At least they could have kept it to themselves and re-gifted them later, but to tell you that, after all the work, was just insensitive.

This is why I donate almost everything I make. Whoever likes it, gets it and that's fine with me. I figure they won't pick it out of the donation pile if it's not their "thing" and someone else will love it later. My joy is in the making of it.

I DO understand someone not liking a certain thing we would make them. I hate the color pink and, although I wouldn't show it outwardly, I'd take it home and give it away as soon as I could, so don't keep your hurt. It's not worth it. Live and learn :)

Try not to let it get to you. I know it is hard, but people in this day and age seem to want store bought stuff. I have no clue as to WHY but you did your part and you know in your heart, you gave a gift of love. I am sorry though.

I am so sorry. I know how that hurt your feelings. I don't give my hand made gifts to anyone but my own children and grandchildren. I don't want to experience that. Those closest to me cherish my presents because they know how hard I work on them. Bless you.

jme
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I'm so sorry this happened to you. But what really gets me mad is that I was taught to appreciate whatever I get, as most of us have. What happened to gratitude??? Even if I don't like something I ACT as though I love it b/c I do in the sense of someone giving me a gift, handmade or bought, it IS the thought that counts!
    This was my thought too. You act like you love it even when you don't. I have received things from my mother I didn't like so much but I still wore them and appreciated them. People are just rude and you should expect more from your family!

I'm sorry you had this experience. Family can be cruel. They should be happy they received a gift alot of us didn't.I wouldn't make them anything not just purses. You put to much work and Love into them to be rejected and I wouldn't go back for seconds.jmo

I vote we should have the word BLANKET removed from the dictionary.What do you think?.

Blog Entries
    I can sympathize with you. I , too , used to make a special baby quilt for each of the new babies. In our large family that is a lot of quilts !! Each one was made with a different pattern and unique to each baby. Besides taking the time to make them , quilt them and package them I had to ship most of them as I do not live in the area of my family. Either they hated some of them or just did not have the courtesy to acknowledge a gift. A simple email would have done. Well, I quit. they no longer get quilts from Aunt Pam.

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast