Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Amish tried selling their quilts to my LQS >

Amish tried selling their quilts to my LQS

Amish tried selling their quilts to my LQS

Old 02-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Banned

I used to live in Pennsylvania and I am very familiar with the Amish. I found them, on the whole, to be kind, friendly, hardworking and decent, caring folks. Yes, they are pretty good business people too. So I found nothing upsetting about the fact they would ask the quilt shop owner to buy their quilts. And for the record, I never once saw any signs of puppy mills and never saw pups being sold by the Amish on the roadside.

Last edited by sharon b; 02-08-2012 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Deleted to clean up topic and get back on track
Old 02-08-2012, 04:55 PM

Why is it necessary to bash the Amish? I live right smack in the middle of the Amish and would much rather have them for neighbors than the minister who lives next door to me. They are a wonderful group of people who live to themselves and bother nobody. I have purchased home grown vegetables from them for years and their generosity is amazing. They are also very astute at making money to provide for their families....something you won't see in the "English" population today.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by redmadder View Post
They may have had a crisis and needed to raise some cash. May not have ever tried to deal with the English before. Brave of them to even try. Would you ever try to navigate their world?
The Amish women so not talk or do business. It's always the man. In our Amish stores here the man always runs the cash register. My friend had a farm for sale and an Amish couple wanted to look at but would only talk to the real estate
agent.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:52 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
WOW! What a reaction to the word "Amish." The Amish I have quilt my pieced tops are hardworking and do have a strong knowledge of economics. They pay for things cash, don't buy what they don't need, and aren't "into" fads. It is a patriarchal society, so that's why the man did the talking and the women listened. I find them good neighbors, and I don't know about the dog thing that was mentioned. I've never seen that. These particular folks probably needed cash and thought selling to a quilt shop was logical to them. They try not to have too much contact with the English, and don't have electricity in their homes, so have no ability to post things on eBay or such venues. So they did what they thought would work. Their society is different, but that doesn't mean they are ignorant. They do try to be self-sufficient. I admire their work ethics.
Well said...
Old 02-08-2012, 07:53 PM

I live in the middle of the Amish community in Clark, Missouri. I can tell you for certain the most Amish have more money than most of us. But they are always trying to make more. They really are not the world wise and probably didn't think it odd to ask the owner to buy the quilts. The owner should have offered to take them on consignment.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:15 PM

At least she handled it politely- She could however offered them to display one on a comission bases as a way to draw new business of people looking for Amish made hand goods. The Amish do not accept federal funds nor do they rely on outside help when at all possible. The economic strife that has hit this country has not spared them, infact they have suffered much. Many have been running cottage style businesses sewing, crafting etc for other busineses out of their home by the piece and when the businesses hit hard times those were the first cuts made.
There really is no difference between an Amish person coming in and negotiating a business transaction- of which they have actually produced the product then another sales person.
We deal with businesses all the time and to go to a shop etc and sell yourself and your work is neither comfortable or easy.
Instead of seeing this as odd etc look at it as someone who is doing business.

Last edited by writerwomen; 02-08-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:56 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by memereof8 View Post
Holy Cows! What direction is this site going?
Our site doesn't condone or allow posts that reflect or encourage prejudice.
Since I can't read minds, I cannot say whether or not the original poster meant to imply anything negative about the Amish. That detail might just have been "thrown in" with no particular intention.

That others jumped on that detail as the focus of their comments is unfortunate and inappropriate to say the least.
What should have been a useful discussion of salesmanship has turned into a debate about a group of people.
That debate has nothing to do with quilting and adds nothing of value to this thread or to our site.
It also does not reflect well upon us as a community.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
Our site doesn't condone or allow posts that reflect or encourage prejudice.
Since I can't read minds, I cannot say whether or not the original poster meant to imply anything negative about the Amish. That detail might just have been "thrown in" with no particular intention.

That others jumped on that detail as the focus of their comments is unfortunate and inappropriate to say the least.
What should have been a useful discussion of salesmanship has turned into a debate about a group of people.
That debate has nothing to do with quilting and adds nothing of value to this thread or to our site.
It also does not reflect well upon us as a community.
Thank you, Patrice, for stepping in. There were elements in this thread that were personally very upsetting to me, notably the taking of ugly rumours as fact.

This board is a lovely, supportive community and I appreciate it more than I can express. Thank you once more, Patrice!