Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Amount of fabric for BOM >

Amount of fabric for BOM

Amount of fabric for BOM

Old 01-12-2017, 06:36 PM

Default Amount of fabric for BOM

My guild is having a block of the month this year. Each month the project chair reveals a 12 inch block to make; there will be 12 blocks total. How much fabric should I purchase to have coordinated fabrics for all 12 blocks? I'm thinking 5 one yard pieces and then 2 yards of a neutral. Another thought is to purchase a layer cake with 2 yards of the neutral. Thanks for suggestions!
Old 01-12-2017, 06:50 PM
Power Poster

You really would be best to ask the person coordinating this program.
She may be using a complete pattern, with the fabric requirements noted.
Also, if she has made the quilt already, then she will know what she has used ... that is, if she has made it!

At the least, she should be able to estimate the requirements, based on what is planned for the year ... or has the full year been planned out?

It really is hard to guess/advise what you may need ....
... do the blocks have a LOT of background in each block? or just a scant amount?
Likewise for the coordinating fabrics ... Do you need two per block? or 6? or? or perhaps choose one constant and do the rest scrappy?

Plus ... will you receive finishing instructions for this BOM at the end?
Should you consider now as to what fabric(s) you may want/need for sashing, borders, binding, and of course, backing.

One of the challenge of a Mystery BOM

I just started a BOM ....... different size blocks and numbers that yours. However, up front we were told the amount of background fabric required if it is to be a constant or if we want an assorted backgrounds, what we need for that. Likewise, some approximations for the other fabrics
Old 01-12-2017, 07:15 PM

I totally agree with QuiltE. Without knowing what the blocks will be like, how could anyone possibly know how much fabric you'll need of how many different colors?
Old 01-12-2017, 08:02 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

This conundrum is the main reason I make these things from my stash, which I've endeavored over 30 years to build up with lots of neutrals/background and blenders.

It truly helps to have a stash like this because I never have to run out in the snow/rain/heat to buy fabric or hit internet shops when the budget is limited that month. Can't even tell you how many quilts I've made completely from stash, excepting maybe the backing. I rarely buy more than a yard of any one fabric and often just 1/2 to 3/4 yard. Though I don't have massive yardage of fabric in my collection, I do have hundreds of different fabrics!

I hope you are able to solve your problem and find you enjoy having leftover fabric - on purpose - from this challenge.

Jan in VA
Old 01-13-2017, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the responses. The organizer is selecting a block each month from quilterscache.com so she has not made the blocks until just before she demos them. The finishing method is up to each person so no directions for that. Most of us have a stash as well as the ability to "make do" should we run short. However, I am taking a new quilter fabric shopping tomorrow and want to give her some solid advice for making her purchase. Ps. She did not even know the term "stash!"
Old 01-13-2017, 09:03 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Kaye View Post
T.........I am taking a new quilter fabric shopping tomorrow and want to give her some solid advice for making her purchase. Ps. She did not even know the term "stash!"
Oh, what fun!!! She will appreciate your efforts in this first endeavor and remember them forever, I'm sure. Bless you! I hope you can come up with some idea of how much to buy with her, it's a challenge under these circumstances. Get her started on that stash building with lots of blenders. I envy you to chance to help such a newbie!

Jan in VA
Old 01-13-2017, 09:30 PM

I would be tempted to get 12 coordinating fat quarters (1 per block), and 2-3 yards of neutral. I'm assuming most blocks will be two colours (one plus neutral), but this will allow plenty of options to mix and match if a block requires multiple non-neutral fabrics.

Have fun!
Old 01-13-2017, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kaye View Post
Thanks for the responses. The organizer is selecting a block each month from quilterscache.com so she has not made the blocks until just before she demos them. The finishing method is up to each person so no directions for that. Most of us have a stash as well as the ability to "make do" should we run short. However, I am taking a new quilter fabric shopping tomorrow and want to give her some solid advice for making her purchase. Ps. She did not even know the term "stash!"
this is a dilemma--if you guide her to larger pieces of neutrals then she can always add to her stash from that, with smaller yardage for other fabrics. I personally find QuiltersCache has some interesting cutting directions and hope that doesn't confuse your new quilter--maybe get little extra fabric? my guild uses her directions for BOM and I usually just look at the finished block units and do it my way instead. Know her directions are intended to minimize waste and gives ways to cut several units at once, but our beginners get very confused!
Old 01-14-2017, 06:22 AM

When I have done blocks of the month for guild I selected a fabric that I loved that had many colors in it and committed that fabric to appear at least once in each block so there would be some consistency throughout all 12 blocks. The rest of the fabric I used were colors from that focus fabric. All the colors don't appear in each block and I have the same color but in different fabrics that appear in different blocks. I used a consistent background color throughout the blocks. This year for the BOM I'm using 1930's reproduction fabric that I've collected over the years. By having the focus fabric or a theme (like repo 1930's) I don't have to be concerned about having enough fabric and I can use a lot from my stash. Some of what I used in last year's BOM which was paper pieced stars I only had small scraps but enough to do that one block.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:52 AM

I do a lot of "Boom" swaps we exchange f8ths and when I do a two color 12 inch block I find I usually use the entire f8 and an equal or slightly greater background. I usually choose more putzy patterns (smaller pieces more seam allowance waste). So I think the suggestion of 12 FQ w/ several yards of neutrals would be a pretty good middle of the road guess.