Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Amount of quilting for a cozy , soft quilt >

Amount of quilting for a cozy , soft quilt

Amount of quilting for a cozy , soft quilt

Old 04-16-2015, 01:26 PM

Default Amount of quilting for a cozy , soft quilt

Many of the quilts at a quilt show are heavily quilted all over. They are beautiful works of art. I have been a hand quilter for a number of years, but am not able to hand quilt a couple of tops I have completed. I chose difficult patterns that took months to complete and to me are exceptional. I am planning to have a long arm quilter quilt them. The close, intricate quilting I see is beautiful, but the quilts are stiff. My hand quilted quilts are soft and drape comfortably even with a lot of quilting. I am not criticizing the intricately quilted machine quilted quilts; I think they are beautiful. I would rather have a softer quilt. Is it okay to have artistic, but less intricately quilted work done, but would it take away from the beauty of the quilt and make it look skimpy?
Old 04-16-2015, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

Quilting does not have to be dense to be beautiful.

Having said that, though, there are other factors that contribute to stiffness; it's not just a matter of the density of the quilting. The type of batting used makes a huge difference in how soft a quilt ends up. For example, a quilt with the same amount of quilting done using Warm and Natural batting will not be as soft as one done with Hobbs PolyDown batting. Also, the type of thread used can make a ***huge*** difference. Dense quilting done with a fine polyester thread in top and bobbin (such as Bottom Line) will not be anywhere as stiff as dense quilting done with a relatively heavy cotton thread in top and bobbin (such as King Tut).

Balancing all 3 factors in a longarmed quilt will give you the result you are looking for.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

Also, lots of pieces, especially small pieces, will make the quilt stiffer and heavier. The batting packaging will tell you the maximum distance apart your quilting lines should be. Other than that, it's your quilt, add the amount of quilting that you are happy with.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:03 PM

When I want a soft, fluffy quilt I use a poly batting, high loft or two layers of low loft. I like cotton batting, but it is flatter and stiffer.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:28 PM

I have used cotton, cotton poly, wool and silk batting and been happy with all of them. I chose the batting according to the type of quilt and its purpose. The cotton was hardest to hand quilt and the wool and silk incredibly easy. They all draped well. I have felt densely machine quilted quilts that were as stiff as a skateboard. Certainly nothing you would want to wrap up in, but probably suitable for a spread. I doubt it was the batting, but it makes sense that it was the thread. Those of you who machine quilt would know how much thread is in a densely quilted quilt. A fine polyester thread with Bottom Line on the bobbin makes sense. I appreciate the information. That's something I will discuss with a quilter I choose. Since I am not a machine quilter, there is so much I don't know. Any help and information I can get is so helpful. It is hard for me to give up the quilting part of these quilt tops because I have put so much work and money in them. I so don't want to be disappointed.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
Many of the quilts at a quilt show are heavily quilted all over. They are beautiful works of art. I have been a hand quilter for a number of years, but am not able to hand quilt a couple of tops I have completed. I chose difficult patterns that took months to complete and to me are exceptional. I am planning to have a long arm quilter quilt them. The close, intricate quilting I see is beautiful, but the quilts are stiff. My hand quilted quilts are soft and drape comfortably even with a lot of quilting. I am not criticizing the intricately quilted machine quilted quilts; I think they are beautiful. I would rather have a softer quilt. Is it okay to have artistic, but less intricately quilted work done, but would it take away from the beauty of the quilt and make it look skimpy?
I don't enjoy intricate quilt designs as much in machine quilting as I do in hand quilting, though I marvel at the skill displayed. There's twice as much thread, and the effect is just different. I prefer less intricate quilting by machine, and I don't think it looks skimpy. I've seen beautiful machine quilting that, while different in style from traditional, intricate hand quilting designs, enhances a quilt just as well, just in a different way. So I wouldn't say that quilting more simply is going to take away from the beauty of your quilt, it's just going to be a different kind of beautiful than it would be if quilted by hand.

Had you considered having your quilts hand quilted by someone?

Last edited by joe'smom; 04-16-2015 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:22 AM

There are so many designs for machine quilting, whether it be a panto or custom work. I don't care for dense quilting on one of my bed quilts. Although quite beautiful when done right, dense quilting makes the quilt stiff, not cuddly, and definitely less warm. I prefer, as do most all that I make quilts for, the simpler, less dense quilting patterns. So many quilt tops are made with lots of repeating, straight line patterns that I want something simple and curvy in my quilting, something to soften the "hardness" of the straight lines. Sometimes I want just SITD because I don't want to take away from the beautiful fabrics. There is no right or wrong here, just personal preference....your quilt, your way!
Old 04-17-2015, 03:45 AM

I have a longarm....and do most of my own on it. But, I do not do dense..I prefer my machine quilting to be either mimicking handquilting or just panto type...I also enjoy handquilting.... That being said, I think the dense quilting is stiff not only because of the brand/ type of batting, but also because for every stitch there are two threads locking, not just one thread running.......
I have two whole cloth bed quilts(acquired) that are heavily hand quilted and are soft.....and I think if they were machine quilted with the same patterns those quilts would be stiffer than they are....JMHO
Old 04-17-2015, 04:03 AM

Harriet Hargrave has a cute thought in her book about quilting by machine. She says something to the effect that she hand quilts-with an electric needle. I live in Colorado and go to her store whenever I get a chance and love to look in her classwork and see the quilts that hang there. They use the Hobbs products as batting. They do look as if hand quilted with the electric needle. So the patterns as lovely and compliment the piecing but are not heavy and 'overdone'. Talk to the person who you select to do the long arming and I know she can help you the soft look you want. I share your thoughts about softness in a quilt you want to snuggle under and maybe a work of art look for the wall.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:06 AM
Power Poster

Be sure to take the time to talk to your LAQ. I prefer not a densely quilting on my quilts. I am old fashion and like my piecing to be the main event and not have the quilting to overshadow my piecing.