Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Anchorage Quilt Shops

  1. #1
    Senior Member vicki75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Burkburnett TX
    Posts
    357
    Anyone know of any quilt shops in the Anchorage Alaska area? I'll be visiting next week and I would love to check out the local shops. I just might stay there to get away from the 110 heat here in Texas!

  2. #2
    Power Poster alikat110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Waco, Texas
    Posts
    15,168
    Blog Entries
    9
    Can I come with you???

  3. #3
    Senior Member vicki75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Burkburnett TX
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by alikat110
    Can I come with you???
    Yes! My husband texted me today from Anchorage and said there was a heatwave...it was over 60! I wanted to hurt him.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,929
    Blog Entries
    1
    I believe there are 3 in Anchorage now. But there are some QB members on here that live there, so they can confirm that.
    When I left in '05 there were only 2, but there were great, there was also one in Palmer, 2 in Wasilla, and well...I hit quite a few on over into Nikiski!

    Mind you, fabric costs more to fly into AK, so the prices will be much higher!

  5. #5
    Senior Member YukonViv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Yukon Territory, Canada
    Posts
    371
    Blog Entries
    1
    Guess what...I'll be there too!!!!

    I live in the Yukon and we'll be taking a road trip to Anchorage, we should be there on tuesday and staying for a few days.

    We've eached picked our "spot"...I'll be going to the 3 quilt shops (where the prices will still be cheaper then the Yukon), my youngest daughter has picked the zoo and the water park, my older daughter has picked the mall (seriously, we do not have a mall in the Yukon, we're all hoping it has an escalator), my girl friend that is coming with us is looking forward to the seafood.

    If you go on Wednesday or thursday to the shops, look for a chunky 40something native woman with short dark hair with purple streaks.

    That won't be me....

    just kidding!!! That'll be me.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    722
    Vivian, I did your 'O Canada' cross stitch on the Canada Day weekend. We were out camping and had the two youngest grands with us, so didn't have a lot of time to stitch, but got it finished. Thanks. Have fun in Anchorage.

  7. #7
    Super Member QuiltnLady1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,898
    I was in Alaska a couple of years ago on a tour and hit fabric stores is several towns (I found addresses on the internet). The folks were great -- they all did the flat rate boxes so I greatfully filled them with fabric (they had several lines unique to Alaska) and other goodies and shipped them down to me. (I did not have enough room in the luggage to pack what I wound up buying and DH refused to carry any extra bags LOL). I also got some cool patterns and some painted fabric.

    Have a great time!!!

  8. #8
    Super Member justflyingin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Jozefow, Poland
    Posts
    4,000
    Quote Originally Posted by YukonViv
    We've eached picked our "spot"...I'll be going to the 3 quilt shops (where the prices will still be cheaper then the Yukon), my youngest daughter has picked the zoo and the water park, my older daughter has picked the mall (seriously, we do not have a mall in the Yukon, we're all hoping it has an escalator), my girl friend that is coming with us is looking forward to the seafood.
    This is so cute. We've driven to AK a couple of times since my DH's family is in the Wasilla/Palmer/ and Talkeetna area. However, we stopped in Whitehorse a couple of times on our way up there. Were so glad to see the McD's there after wilderness tenting somewhere in northern BC.

    Enjoy your stay in Alaska. If I were you, I'd probably be quilting with used curtains and bedding like I do here in Poland since probably not much is available there in the Yukon.

    Your part of the world is beautiful, though!

    My DH is flying there in early Sept (from Poland) to visit his family.

  9. #9
    MTS
    MTS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,302
    Quote Originally Posted by YukonViv
    If you go on Wednesday or thursday to the shops, look for a chunky 40something native woman with short dark hair with purple streaks.

    That won't be me....

    just kidding!!! That'll be me.
    Viv - your daughter is hysterical. I hope your injury has healed. Sign your blog up at http://quilterblogs.com/blog/submit/. It's would be a great addition.

    Enjoy your trip west!

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,929
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by YukonViv
    Guess what...I'll be there too!!!!

    I live in the Yukon and we'll be taking a road trip to Anchorage, we should be there on tuesday and staying for a few days.

    We've eached picked our "spot"...I'll be going to the 3 quilt shops (where the prices will still be cheaper then the Yukon), my youngest daughter has picked the zoo and the water park, my older daughter has picked the mall (seriously, we do not have a mall in the Yukon, we're all hoping it has an escalator), my girl friend that is coming with us is looking forward to the seafood.

    If you go on Wednesday or thursday to the shops, look for a chunky 40something native woman with short dark hair with purple streaks.

    That won't be me....

    just kidding!!! That'll be me.
    OMGosh....the mall...boy does it have escalator..two..it is 3 storied tall...LOVE that mall...better than anything in Oklahoma that is for sure!

    and for seafood, you HAVE to find a restaurant called the GALLEY...it is THE best place to eat in Anchorage...well, unless you want steak then it is the Paris club..and for prime rib it would be Snowgoose down town..hehehe

    I really miss Alaska...you guys will have a blast!
    Maybe my fave artist will be in town at the gallery..Barbara Lavallee! Stop in and give her a shout out!

    You will find that Anchorage is VERY artsy/crafty...so many great fiber/textile artists and craftsmen are there or in that area!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.