Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another "New" Machine

I'm so excited! On Saturday there was a yardsale directly across the street from us. DH had gone across earlier in the morning and kept telling me I should go over because there were 2 sewing machines there. I kept saying, "Do you really think I need another one?" Well, later in the morning, I went over and lo and behold there was a Kenmore very similar to my very first new sewing machine that I got in 1972. So, for $5, I bought it and looked it up. It's Kenmore Model 448 and it was made in 1973. I downloaded the manual last night. It can use a twin needle (which my first one could not) and since my Brother broke, I haven't had a machine that can zigzag so I'm excited. I'll get a picture of her soon and now I have to think up a name. So, now I have 6 sewing machines and 1 serger and, I actually have a sewing machine at my sister's house (it was my paternal grandmothers). Used it many many years ago but it hasn't been up out of it's cabinet in decades. Someday I'll have to go and open her up.

I need a bigger sewing room! :)

Congratulations! What a deal. I learned to sew on an old Kenmore that was made sometime in the 50's. My first couple of sewing machines that I bought for myself were Kenmores. They just don't make them like that any more.

Blog Entries
    :thumbup:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    see DH knew what he was talking about.heheh
    good for you!

Blog Entries
    At least DH was the one that told u to go!!

Congrats!

Dh got me a Kenmore the yr we were married, 1971 ... it is a real workhorse. It does sew with twin needles and has a bunch of cams for decorative stitching.

Nowadays it has taken the backseat to my janome6500 but I'll pull out the ol' Kenmore when J is in for maintenance. And it is the machine I'll let my grand kids learn to sew on. Very dependable. And I won't have to worry about them 'doing something' to my J.

Looking forward to the photo of your 'new' machine.

Enjoy your new toy.

Congratulations ...$5.00 !!! WOW. My mom had an Kenmore (early 1960's) with a big cabinet and all kinds of cams and it is in excellent condition.Next time I drive back to Mass. I'm going to bring it back with me.My sister has it and doesn't sew. I actually have another old Kenmore that is a workhorse.

Yes, my hubby is sweet. My best friend calls him my biggest enabler. LOL He is very supportive.

Good yard sale find,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast