Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another batting question >

Another batting question

Another batting question

Old 09-18-2014, 01:34 PM

Default Another batting question

I'm wondering if it would work to use two layers of batting to make a quilt warmer. Would that just make it too stiff? Thanks for your help!
Old 09-18-2014, 01:53 PM

It would depend on the batting you choose and how closely it is quilted.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:02 PM

I have read threads here where folks have done that. I can't remember too much about the discussion, but it might make the quilt kind of heavy? Might be worth googling or maybe searching on this board.

Dina
Old 09-18-2014, 02:34 PM

I've heard of using a cotton batting with a wool batting.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:46 PM
Power Poster

I have quilted a few quilts using a cotton and a wool batting together, doing that is a way to really showcase your quilting stitches. I would imagine it also adds some extra warmth. Wool batting is very lightweight and lofty ( my all time favorite batting) one way to really increase the warmth value of your quilt is to use flannel for the backing.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:59 PM

I have used 2 layers of low loft poly batting when I wanted a puffier look and didn't have anything else on hand. Suggest you make a sandwich sample, say 18"-24" square and see if your machine will handle it and if you like the resulting look and weight. I think it would work depending upon the density of your batting. Also if you use different types of batting they may shrink at different rates so you might consider presoaking it. Lastly if they have different quilting space guidelines use the smallest spacing rule of the two to be safe.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:24 PM

I'm not sure if what you have in mind is to use to layers of batting that you already have but, if not, I would suggest using Quilters Dream cotton batting. That is my very favorite batting and it comes in different "lofts". I recently used the Deluxe High Loft for DGD's quilt. That batting combined with flannel backing makes one heavy quilt! I do free motion quilting on my domestic sewing machine and that gave me a run for my money! It felt very warm to me while I was hand sewing on the binding, of course it is summer time. I'm getting ready to mail it to her and my DH said today he would like to keep it to use through the winter He thought she would appreciate more when she's older. Ha Ha. Anyway, Quilters Dream is available at many LQS and online. This particular one I ordered through Amazon. Good luck on your search.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:25 PM

Quilters Dream Select Cotton and Dream Wool make a good combination if you want a lot of definition in the pattern. However, you do add some weight if it's a very big quilt. Their wool batting is beautiful and of even thickness throughout. I would think it would be adequately warm on its own.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

I would worry about quilting it on my Bernina with the batting being so thick with 2 layers. I would just get a good wool batting.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:08 AM

I just finished quilting 2 layers of dream cotton in a scrappy quilt on Bernina Artista 170. I went with two layers of batting because the single layer was so thin and used a donated polyester blend cotton for the backing. (Quilting for charity with donated materials you get so much stuff, I really wasn't sure how it would handle or what the end result would look like.) Spray basted at church, basted the batting as a single layer and had to join batting to make it large enough. Hid the join next to the pieced top, did an allover meander and it turned out well. It isn't as heavy as some of the commercial quilts that you can buy, but it is thicker.