Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another best machine question >

Another best machine question

Another best machine question

Old 04-26-2011, 04:50 AM

Folks, I know there have been MANY threads on which machine is best. I want to be more specific and ask which machine would you consider to be good for light quilting (I only quilt some for myself) that is not terribly expensive. I can't spend over $500 on a machine right now. I have a Brother from Wal Mart that does a pretty good job for sewing/ piecing. I would like to have more space (to accomodate a quilt better) and a little heavier machine, though. My daughter has a Pfaff that I have used and like. I am just learning to machine quilt and I think I will enjoy doing it. I feel that I need a heavier duty machine for that, though. My Brother is very light and even tends to move around on me sometimes. I would like to get a good machine that will last a long time without spending a fortune! Any help would be appreciated. I know there are lots of opinions and I WILL go try out some machines at a local dealer. It would just be nice to have some ideas before I go.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:53 AM

A used Bernina might fall within that price range. Bernina machines are known for beautiful stitches, especially for FMQ. I have a big Janome and bought a used Bernina specifically to do FMQ and it does excellent work.

A Bernina 150, 155, 165, those are the models that might fall into your price range and they do excellent FMQ. You'll have to ask a dealer or check on eBay to see what they look like and what they might be going for there.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:31 AM

I have the Brother 1500S. It has a 9 inch throat which is wonderful. Most of the machine is metal and it feels very sturdy on the table. It does not move. Brand new it's about $750 with all the extras --- several feet, extension table, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a gently used one in your price range.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:33 AM

Thanks so much! I am willing to spend a little more, if needed. I would rather spend a couple hundred more and make a really good investment. I really appreciate your input.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:37 AM

I don't know where you are, but Sew Rite Sewing Machine is a store in my area that I HIGHLY recommend for their machines, including used machines. They do mail-order, so I would suggest you give them a call. the website is http://sewright.com/ Harvey is very knowledgeable and willing to share his knowledge. Also reliable and dependable.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:40 AM

Temporary fix for your Brother. Put some of that waffle shelving material underneath it. That will prevent it form shuffling around.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:24 AM

I have a Bernina 150QE and it is great for piecing and you can do FMQ, however, it just has a standard throat width. As someone else posted, check E-Bay or your nearest Bernina dealer to see if they have a used one.

mltquilt
Old 04-26-2011, 07:37 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Originally Posted by kimg
Folks, I know there have been MANY threads on which machine is best. I want to be more specific and ask which machine would you consider to be good for light quilting (I only quilt some for myself) that is not terribly expensive. I can't spend over $500 on a machine right now. I have a Brother from Wal Mart that does a pretty good job for sewing/ piecing. I would like to have more space (to accomodate a quilt better) and a little heavier machine, though. My daughter has a Pfaff that I have used and like. I am just learning to machine quilt and I think I will enjoy doing it. I feel that I need a heavier duty machine for that, though. My Brother is very light and even tends to move around on me sometimes. I would like to get a good machine that will last a long time without spending a fortune! Any help would be appreciated. I know there are lots of opinions and I WILL go try out some machines at a local dealer. It would just be nice to have some ideas before I go.
Depending on where you live and the quality of your local dealer, you can sometimes get refurbished machines. There is a Janome 1600P-QC that just might be perfect for you and in your price range refurbished. But, they aren't too much more brand new. Their primary purpose is quilting, they do 1600 stitches per minute and have a 9" harp.

http://content.janome.com/index.cfm/...lting/1600P-QC
Good shopping!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:50 PM

I went shopping today and looked at Pfaffs only. I almost bought either a Select 3.0 or 4.0. They were on sale due to some upcoming changes in the models. I also looked at a Quilt Expression 2.0 that was on sale because it was a demo. The sale prices were:
Select 3.0 $549 (reg. $1039),
Select 4.0 $699 (I did not write down the reg. price on this)
Quilt Expression 2.0 $999 (reg. $1559)
Anyone have one of these or know about them?
Old 04-26-2011, 06:51 PM

Should have said I only just shopped for Pfaffs because the shop I went to only sold those. I didn't have time to visit another shop. I had a dental appointment. (FUN!)