Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Another Biscuit Quilt Question

Another Biscuit Quilt Question

I didn't want to intrude on the other recent biscuit quilt thread. I, too, am considering making one in the near future. My question is how do they wash up? Does the stuffing tend to migrate into corners? Can it be machine washed/dried? Do you wash it like you would a down jacket, using tennis balls in the dryer to thump it back into some sort of shape? Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I'm currently making the biscuit quilt in the other thread. I have done numerous searches on google and every one has said that you just wash it like you would any other quilt. One poster to a web site said she put hers in the bathtub and then did a "grape stomping" dance on it. I would think that was a little radical! Others mentioned taking it to the laundromat and using the big machines. My quilt is going to be 60" X 60" but with so much bulk of the "puffs" I will probably take it to the laundromat (or as I have affectionately dubbed it, the "Freak-O-Mat"! Most sites stated to just put it in the dryer as you would anyother quilt. Even the ones that are being sold on Etsy have washing instructions to wash and dry using warm temperatures. I never even considered the thought about using tennis balls. I hope someone that has one or has made one will post on here how they wash and dry theirs.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    My finished pc of bisquit was 3". I put that monstrous thng in the waah and dryer.it was fit for a kin sized bed with a 20" drop. I always make them for animals too. They make up. Icely for tbe shelters also, nice and puffy.

I have made 10 biscuit quilts. Too much stuffing will make it very hard to sew together and sewing the rows together too. My book said to use polyester fiberfil. About the size of a ping pong ball. Too much filling will make it beautiful but not easy to use.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

The easiest pattern for biscuit quilts (puff quilts) is the one by Kaye Wood. It is made in strips onto a foundation. You stuff it to your preference, but not stuff full. I made a 16 inch biscuit pillow in 4 hours not including cutting and sewing the blocks together in a strip....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts View Post
    The easiest pattern for biscuit quilts (puff quilts) is the one by Kaye Wood. It is made in strips onto a foundation. You stuff it to your preference, but not stuff full. I made a 16 inch biscuit pillow in 4 hours not including cutting and sewing the blocks together in a strip....
    I have never seen this before! I saved the PDF to give it a try. I am too far into my biscuit quilt doing it the other way to stop now. I think I will try a pillow though using Kaye Woods method http://www.kayewood.com/downloads/Bi...wforPellon.pdf
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig